Views
Helpful
Replies

problem with second NIC after upgrade

Hubert Kupper
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

after upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6 (VM) the second NIC didn't have network access. It's IP is pingable by prime but no other network device in the same subnet. The first NIC works.

I have disabled the second NIC in the VM and did a restart of the VM but I cannot ping any device.

Regards, Hubert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This was the trick! At the bottom of the upgrade document I found the note below. What a helpful place ;-)

Thanks and regards, Hubert

When you upgrade from Prime Infrastructure version 3.5 to 3.6 that uses two NICs, network outage occurs post the upgrade. This can be avoided by performing the following steps:

You must not add 2 NICs before the first power up of deployment. Also, adding 2 NICs at the same time is not recommended
Login to VMware vSphere.
Choose the Virtual Machine where the Dual NIC has to be configured.
Power off the Virtual Machine.
Choose edit settings and then add the second NIC.
Turn on the Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Well I would consider disabling the second NIC in contradiction with the problem you are trying to solve. Anyway get a shell on the Prime server and issue : netstat -i. Following the second's NIC name obtain stats from it by using : ifconfig eth1 (e.g.). Look at the Tx and Rx packet count and also check if the IP-configuration is correct.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I did a ifconfig eth1 and the TX and RX stats are ok but I get no connection to the lan. After revert to the 3.5 snapshot with the same conditions on both NICs it works.I will try to disable the second NIC, do the upgrade to 3.6 and after finishing enable the NIC again. I hope this will help.

Regards, Hubert

This was the trick! At the bottom of the upgrade document I found the note below. What a helpful place ;-)

Thanks and regards, Hubert

When you upgrade from Prime Infrastructure version 3.5 to 3.6 that uses two NICs, network outage occurs post the upgrade. This can be avoided by performing the following steps:

You must not add 2 NICs before the first power up of deployment. Also, adding 2 NICs at the same time is not recommended
Login to VMware vSphere.
Choose the Virtual Machine where the Dual NIC has to be configured.
Power off the Virtual Machine.
Choose edit settings and then add the second NIC.
Turn on the Virtual Machine.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: