cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with syslog messages

benjo.rulloda
Level 1
Level 1

The Ciscoworks LMS2.5 server of our client is having problems with DFM particulary on Alerts and Activities. When he clicks on an Alert ID, a series of event IDs should be seen but there are none. Same case with all Alert IDs for different devices. I've also checked out Syslog report under RME but it says "No records found." When I checked out Device Center, all devices doesn't show any logs on them, even informational ones.

The problem started, according to the client, when he did a "Windows OS Hardening" wherein he installs several Windows update for the server to comply on their audit. Aside from that, he revised some security settings of his browser under Tools>Internet Options>Security.

I did a Self Test on the server but it passed. My initial assumption was that the database might be corrupted. Here's what I did on the command prompt:

C:\net stop crmdmgtd

Made sure that no database process is running by checking if there is a database log file under /CSCOpx/databases/rme/rme.log. Next thing I did is run this:

cd NMSRoot/objects/db/conf

NMSRoot/bin/perl configureDb.pl action=validate dsn=<cmf>

But i cannot get any response. It says on the Common Services User Guide that from this command i can check whether there are databases that are having errors.

Hope you can help me on this.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The command is:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\objects\db\conf\configureDb.pl action=validate dsn=cmf

But I doubt database corruption is your problem. If you are missing syslogs, then you need to first make sure they are still arriving in the syslog.log, then check to make sure the syslog filters are properly defined, then make sure SyslogCollector and SyslogAnalyzer are running properly.

For DFM, this could be a process failure with AdapterServer. Check to make sure all the daemons are in a proper state.

Hi Joe,

How can I check if there are logs arriving on the syslog.log file? If the file is incrementing in size?

Regarding the command that you have written, will it be the same with this:

C:\cd Program Files\CSCOpx\bin\perl Program Files\CSCOpx\objects\db\conf\configureDb.pl action-validate dsn=cmf

The part "NMSROOT" is the one I don't usually get. Since my Ciscoworks folder is on Program Files under drive C:, so when a command calls for "NMSROOT" I have to replace it with "C:\cd Program Files\CSCOpx" everytime?

NMSROOT is the path into which you installed CiscoWorks. This is C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx by default.

You can open the syslog.log file in notepad, and check the bottom to make sure the messages being sent by your devices are appearing in this log.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: