cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with implementing Netflow on Network Devices?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

If we wanted to configure devices for Netflow to export the data to let's say Solarwinds, what are key considerations to take into account that could present problems on the network? I understand the the info on the devices is actually sent to the export devices such as Solarwinds after the flow expires after having being cached if I am not mistaken. What would be other problems that could arise if not carefully planned and implemented other than perhaps CPU memory or something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Saldana Morales
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi CiscoBlueBelt,

A few recommendations from previous implementations:

• Solarwinds uses as transport UDP 2055
  • If i am not wrong the template is exported every 30 you can change it via "template data timeout (minutes)"
  • You can change cache timeout default is 30 minutes "cache timeout active 60"
  • For expired sessions you can export it via "cache timeout inactive"

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jaime Saldana

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jaime Saldana Morales
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi CiscoBlueBelt,

A few recommendations from previous implementations:

• Solarwinds uses as transport UDP 2055
  • If i am not wrong the template is exported every 30 you can change it via "template data timeout (minutes)"
  • You can change cache timeout default is 30 minutes "cache timeout active 60"
  • For expired sessions you can export it via "cache timeout inactive"

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jaime Saldana

Configuring Netflow and settings in theory (if configured properly or with basic settings) should not cause any performance issues on a network correct as it is simply exporting cached data?

"show ip flow" commands do not work on a Catalyst 4507. 

I can do "show flow" but it is just to view basic exporter, interace, monitor, etc. config type info.
How do I verify if netflow is actually working on this platform?