cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ray Baum dispatchable location information help

coff8199
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for advice as to how your organization discovered which ip addresses or MACs were used to document the floor / dept. for each phone per facility.  I have the printer IPs on every print server, so I can quickly dispatch those as non-phones, however, it will require much time to cross-reference IPs to switchports to know which floor they are on. There are still printers, imaging devices, etc. We have several facilities I need to document, so this is a very daunting and time-consuming task.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to my fellow IT workers,

God Bless

1 Reply 1

pieterh
VIP
VIP

if you use Cisco ISE as radius server for port-authentication, this will be the easiest entry point
ISE discovers/ categorizes devices based on several type of packets the device sent

if you have Cisco Prime Infrastructure or DNA Center you can dynamically search for devices based on mac/ip/dns-name/user-account

you could also build a script that uses SNMP to query what mac addresses are connected to your switchports
and match those mac addresses  with the ARP table to obtain the IP-addresses

so this totally depends on what tools you al ready have installed in your organization

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card