Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem uppgrading ASR 920 with Prime Infrastructure

Chess Norris
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We have some issues when upgrading ASR 920 routers with IOS-XE. 

The Prime userguide says we need to make sure  config-registry value is set to 0x2102 in order for Prime to reboot the device.

We doubble check that the conf reg is set to 0x2102 (which I think is default). When trying to activate the new image, Prime set the boot parameters to the correct image, but it newer reboots it. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks

/Chess

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What is the Prime version ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Version is 3.10

- Have a look at https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-10/supported/devices/PI310-Supported-Device-List.xlsx   and lookup the exact ASR model .  Look at the column Cisco.com Image Support(Y/N)  , it has a lot of N , not sure what it means but it looks indicative, 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what version of Prime Infra - what is the current version of IOS XE , what version you trying to upgrade ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

PI version is 3.10. Current XE version is 16.12.04 and we want to upgrade to version 17.06.06

/Chess

16.12 to 17.X required ROMMON upgrade required.

personally i am not a big fan of upgrading using  PI - i do traditional way. until you looking 100s of routers to upgrade.

BB

Thank you. Then it's probably the issue we are facing. Do you know if it's possible to upgrade the ROMMON from PI as well?

This is actually arround 100 routers, so it would save us a lot of time if we can do the upgrade from PI.

/Chess

- FYIhttps://community.cisco.com/t5/network-management/how-do-i-upgrade-rommon-using-prime-infrastructure-3-1/m-p/3724765#M125764
                            Rest assured that remains impossible in later versions of Prime too , 

M.

You can automate the process outside PI, But that i am aware PI supports.

Any way you can upgrade all 100 routers same time, that is disaster upgrade - if that breaks.

i will group them based on the areas / Location, make a simple process of copy and upgrade and validate device come back with ping and verify the IOS version and move to next device.

i follow below steps 

backup the device config (out of the box)
Upload IOS & Rommon files to device
Verify MD5 hashes
Set primary boot image with boot system flash
Set backup boot image
Save configuration
Upgrade Rommon with upgrade rom-monitor file
Reload
Ping
Login to device and verify the new IOS version.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card