cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Revert changes made when disabling auto smartport

Jeff Miles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we made a change to a SG350-10P switch to disable smartports on a single port. This change was made in the Smartports > Interface Settings > Interface Settings Table.

This change has had the undesired effect of throwing a load of network devices off the network. It seems that only devices from 1 VLAN are currently available. I can also see that it has disabled Administrative Auto Smartports and Operational Auto Smartports across the entire network. 

Can anyone suggest how I can revert the changes made by choosing this option? It seems that more complicated that just re-enabling smartports on that particular port again.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Jeff

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Best is to understand why this happened by examining logs , I am not in favor of enabling Smartport  again neither , because it can lead to unmastered (not understood) networking configurations and behavior , work towards correct configs on the switches , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

I do not have experience with SG350 and if someone in the community that does have experience would jump in that would be great. But based on my experience with other Cisco switches here are my suggestions.

- For most Cisco switches there is a running config and a startup config. Is that the case with SG350? If so did you save the config after you made changes for smart port?  If not then a reload of the switch should revert the changes.

- Do you have a copy of the config archived from when it was running correctly? If so it might be possible to restore that config.

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I clicked save on the top of the
admin interface after making this change, will that have saved overwritten
the startup config? I rebooted the router and the changes persisted.

As far as I know there is no backup to the configuration file. We had an
external technical support company resetting the switch using the reset
button at the front a few days ago, so I suspect that the switch is close
the factory settings.

Is it possible that this smartport setting change made network wide changes
that will be difficult to identify?

Any further help greatly appreciated,
Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the update. If you clicked save then it does make the changes permanent, as your reboot demonstrated. It is interesting that the switch was recently reset. You might want to note carefully was is in the current config, reset the switch, and apply the desirable parts of the config.

HTH

Rick