cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RMEDbEngine fails to start on brand new LMS 2.5.1 install

jimbartus
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a brand new LMS 2.5.1 install setup and I'm working my way through the Quick Start guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2425/products_quick_start09186a00805af28a.html

I get as far as trying to change RME's collection settings and I get an error. When I click "Config Management" -> "Archive Management" on my ciscoworks desktop it pauses for a looooong time and eventually gives a tomcat servlet error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.dcma.client.DBInterface.getDeviceSummary(DBInterface.java:1745)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.dcma.client.ConfigArchiveClientImpl.getArchiveSummary(ConfigArchiveClientImpl.java:724)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.dcma.ui.helper.DCMAArchiveViewUIUtil.getSystemDeviceArchiveInfo(DCMAArchiveViewUIUtil.java:582)

Also when I go look in the event log on the server there are four RME related messages:

- Starting service RMEDbEngine

- Service not able to access Desktop

- Unable to initialize requested communication links

- Could not start server

Did I do something wrong on install? Any idea how to fix this? Hours of googling and searching within cisco have led me nowhere.

-jim

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

I think you will have to reinstall the LMS bundle again. Some part of the install has become corrupt and hence you are seeing such messages. Reinstalling the package should solve the problem.

have you yet solved your problem?

I think you are running into CSCsa75824

Even if the Bugtool says it is resolved in RME 4.0(1) check the following (espacially if you just installed LMS 2.5 and then SP3)

CSCsa75824

RME NG - CiscoWorks Sybase will fail to start causing all RME functions not to work.

Problem seen on Windows 2003 with 4Gig DRAM.

Workaround:

Edit REGISTRY entry for RMEDbEngine Services

RMEDBEngine

hkey_local_machine\system\controlset001\services\rmedbengine

parameters change the value of -ch 50P to -ch 25P

then update the two files

CSCOpx/databases/rmeng/orig/odbc.*

an entry of -ch 50P --> to -ch 25P

then reboot the server.

It should probably also be stated that if the server has more than 4GB

of RAM, that this, too, will fail. The idea here is that the maximum

cache size should be no more than 1 GB to avoid problems. Therefore,

adjust the -ch number accordingly. The 'P' in this case stands for

percent of total physical RAM in the machine.

Note: to make absolutely certain things would in all cases, consider

using the following for the maximum cache size on all machines with

physical RAM > 2 GB:

-ch 1G

This will hardcode the maximum cache size to 1GB.

HTH,

MArtin

Thank you Martin, that looks exactly like what I was running into. Unfortunatly I've already gone and done a re-install, but if I ever get to RME again before giving up on this software I'll be sure to try that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card