cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router/Switch SNMP V3 NPM Question

davsnet2000
Level 1
Level 1

Our network team has been asked to evaluate a simple NPM solution and would like to try two different ones, WhatsUp Gold and SolarWinds.

Question:  Can you configure both at the same time on your network to the same devices?  I've attempted this, but when I try to add the second NPM it corrupts the first one.

Is there a certain sequence of commands to get both in or is it restricted to one NPM?

We had SolarWinds configured for about a year, but it's not doing what we want it to do so we're evaluating WhatsUp Gold.  I first used WUG in 1999 and then went to Cisco Works later.

The company doesn't need all of the bells and whistles of the Cisco Prime replacement so they have wanted to try these two alternatives.

Now they want to see both running at the same time?....   Has anyone ever tried connecting two different one's?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Question:  Can you configure both at the same time on your network to the same devices?  I've attempted this, but when I try to add the second NPM it corrupts the first one.

You mean the network device will monitor both Monitoring system. yes that is possible.

how is your SNMP config, what device model you have issue ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Devices involved are two Cisco 4506E's, nine 3850's and a few 4331 routers.
IOS Versions:
4506: CAT IOS-XE 03.11.03a.E
3850: IOS-XE Fuji 16.09.06 then upgraded to Gibraltar 16.12.06 in Oct 2021
4331: IOS-XE Fuji 16.09.06 then upgraded to Gibraltar 16.12.06 in Oct 2021

The devices were configured for SolarWinds for over a year now. Because of issues with their map it hasn't been a good fit so recently they wanted to try WhatsUp Gold.
During initial review of devices we found that they were no longer connected to SolarWinds using SNMP v3. A review showed that they disconnected after the last set of device IOS upgrades and no one caught it.
I found out there were new or different commands with the new IOS so I assume that's why the connection dropped after the upgrade.

After finding out there was an issue with adding two NPM's to each device I started the new config with removing the old SNMP v3 configuration.

Below are the commands that work, but I've been having a sequence order issue and have to reenter commands that drop because they are in the wrong order.

COMMANDS:

no snmp-server

snmp-server engineID remote <ip address> <remoteID>

snmp-server engineID local <localID>

snmp-server group <groupname> v3 priv write <access-list name>
snmp-server group <groupname> v3 priv match exact read v1default write <access-list name>
snmp-server host <NPMip> version 3 priv <groupname>
snmp-server user <username> <group name> v3 auth sha <password> priv aes 256 <password> access <access-list name>
snmp-server host <NPMip> version 3 priv <group name>
snmp-server group <groupname> v3 priv write <access-list name>

davsnet2000
Level 1
Level 1

Part 2 issue is related with a switch hanging off of another switch.

Setup:

Two Distro L3 switches interconnected to each other and both are connected to six Access Switches.

Three L2 switches connect to three of the above L2 Access Switches

CDP is enabled on all devices, Access lists allow for NPM.  I can ping all of the devices from my workstation and from the secondary level switch I can ping my workstation and all gateways involved.

Why can't I get communications between the NPM and the second level switches?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco