Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 ending PPPOE connection after 20 seconds with 'signal 15'

We have a Cisco RV325 dual WAN router.  WAN1 is connected to a bridged service via static IP, and WAN2 to another bridged service via PPPOE.  WAN1 works normally, but WAN2 connects to the service and then drops after 20-30 seconds with a system log saying "Terminating on signal 15".  From my checks, this appears to be a CTRL-C being sent, and I've tried the solutions I found - setting the speed down to 100, unchecking NSD on WAN2 and on both, selecting only one NSD method, etc.  Nothing works.  Any input from someone who solved this issue would be greatly appreciated.

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Configure a syslog server on the RV , explained in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb4221-system-log-configuration-on-rv320-and-rv325-vpn-router-serie.html  ,  check logging on the device on the syslog server (afterwards) , when you experience the particular problem. Also make sure the RV is using the latest firmare , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thanks for your input.  The firmware is the latest (1.5.1.13).  I saw the signal 15 on the system log in the router:

2023-02-25, 13:35:46System LogWAN2=***.***.***.*** WAN2 MASK=255.255.255.255 WAN2_GATEWAY=192.168.187.227 WAN2_DNS1=80.93.157.60 WAN2_DNS2=80.93.156.60 mtu=1492
2023-02-25, 13:36:04System LogTerminating on signal 15
2023-02-25, 13:36:04System LogConnect time 0.3 minutes.
2023-02-25, 13:36:04System LogSent 133061 bytes, received 8816 bytes.
2023-02-25, 13:36:04System LogConnection terminated.
2023-02-25, 13:36:04System LogExit.

But would setting up an external server give any more information?

>...But would setting up an external server give any more information?
  Possibly yes , for instance on some devices logging can be extended to debugging level when configuring a syslog server, if not then it is worth trying anyway , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

I seem to recall that there is a PPPoE setting where you can enable Keepalives for the WAN connection, do you have that enabled ?

Yes. It is set that way. 

- You may want to contact Cisco about this : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

M.

Yes... this is looking like a problem for Cisco, and it gets more complex.

As mentioned above, I experimented by switching WAN prots between the two connections, and it is WAN2 having the same problem no matter which connection is using it.  But then, all of a sudden, everything started working - BOTH WAN are connected and I can connect through them externally... but... as soon as I log into the router and check the status, WAN2 goes down.  AND to make things even more bizarre, WAN2 is being used as the primary connection even though the router is set to use WAN1 for that, and when the connection is dropped on WAN2 there is no failover to WAN1, even though WAN1 works perfectly fine for inbound connections.

All this is just too weird.  Time to call Cisco...

Hello,

I am just thinking that this could somehow be related to something the ISP has set on their end. Who are the two WAN service providers ?

The problem isn't from their end... although that was my first impression given the signal 15 hang-up.  I verified this by switching ports for the two connections.  The other one which was good on WAN1 does the same thing on WAN2.

Just as an update, Cisco can't open a case as the device is out of tech support, so we're quite stuck.  In 40 years of IT I've never seen a router behave like this.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card