Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting an entire VTP domain on Transparent mode

Inaki Kortazar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a network with 26 Cisco 2960 and a couple of 3750 stack as the CORE devices, they are in a VTP v2 client/server enviroment, 3750s are the servers.

We need to start working without VTP because of a new devices installation, but It looks like there is no way to get rid of VTP, so I am going to set the entire domain members in Transparent mode.

I have tested with packet Tracer setting all switches on transparent mode,It had no impact on traffic or vlan database, but real life is different specialy on production evironments.

My idea is the following one;
First of all I will configure no vtp pruning on servers.

Switch(config)# no vtp pruning 

Then start configuring the clients on transparent mode.

Switch(config)#vtp mode transparent

After finishing with each client, check if the vlan database is still there and do a show vlan brief.
Finally set servers also on transparent mode.

I will do it during a maintenance window.

Has anyone has experience  on similar situations?  Do I have to take care of the impact on another aspects like STP?

what is the best way to test that everything is OK after that?

Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help,
IIB

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  Why make things that difficult ? What is wrong with integrating the new devices in the existing vtp domain as vtp-clients ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DUPPLICATE

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: