cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shut down an interface based on CRC errors

rhopkins
Level 1
Level 1

We have 4510's with dual 10 gig links back to 6509's.  When one of our interfaces starts to accumulate crc errors it impacts the latency and availability of our end users behind the 4510.  Either the interface err-disables or we manually shut it down and the other 10 gig link is unblocked by spanning-tree and traffic begins to flow as usual.  Is there a way to use EEM to detect these input or crc errors and shut down the interface?

I'm looking at the below as a resolution:

event manager applet Te5/1 trap authorization bypass

"event interface name TenGigabitEthernet5/1 parameter input_errors_crc entry-op le entry-val 0 entry-type value exit-comb or exit-op gt exit-val 0 exit-type value exit-time 5000 exit-event true poll-interval 100 maxrun 10000"

action 1 cli command "configure terminal"

action 2 cli command "interface te5/1"

action 3 cli command "shutdown"

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

An EEM applet will work for you, but the way you have this one designed might not do what you want.  Try this:

event manager applet monitor_te51 authorization bypass

event interface name TenGigabitEthernet5/1 parameter input_errors_crc entry-op gt entry-val 0 entry-type increment exit-val 0 exit-op eq exit-type increment

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 2.0 cli command "config t"

action 3.0 cli command "int ten5/1"

action 4.0 cli command "shut"

View solution in original post

You can change this to use 1 instead of 0:

event interface name TenGigabitEthernet5/1 parameter input_errors_crc   entry-op ge entry-val 1 entry-type increment exit-val 1 exit-op lt   exit-type increment poll-interval 10

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

An EEM applet will work for you, but the way you have this one designed might not do what you want.  Try this:

event manager applet monitor_te51 authorization bypass

event interface name TenGigabitEthernet5/1 parameter input_errors_crc entry-op gt entry-val 0 entry-type increment exit-val 0 exit-op eq exit-type increment

action 1.0 cli command "enable"

action 2.0 cli command "config t"

action 3.0 cli command "int ten5/1"

action 4.0 cli command "shut"

The "event" command is incomplete in the example you wanted me to try.

event interface name TenGigabitEthernet5/1 parameter input_errors_crc entry-op gt entry-val 0 entry-type increment exit-comb or exit-op eq exit-val 0 exit-type increment exit-time 5000 exit-event true poll-interval 100000

The above commands are the required options for the "event" statement.

Whoops, forgot the poll-interval.  The exit combination stuff is not needed unless you want the exit condition to include a time limit.  This should be fine:

event interface name TenGigabitEthernet5/1 parameter input_errors_crc  entry-op gt entry-val 0 entry-type increment exit-val 0 exit-op eq  exit-type increment poll-interval 10

This will poll for error changes every 10 seconds.

Thanks Joseph,

This command worked on the 4510 but not on the 6509.  It won't let me set the entry-val to "0".  "1-4294967295" is the available option.  Will setting a 1 here accomplish the same result?  If no crc's are detected this value would be "0" and I don't want this to be triggered if the value is 0 not 1.  Any help?  Or if you can point me to the EEM config guide I will look there.

You can change this to use 1 instead of 0:

event interface name TenGigabitEthernet5/1 parameter input_errors_crc   entry-op ge entry-val 1 entry-type increment exit-val 1 exit-op lt   exit-type increment poll-interval 10

Works perfectly!

show event manager history events detailed

No.  Job Id      Status   Time of Event             Event Type          Name

1    1           success  Wed Oct 3  13:54:21 2012  interface           applet: monitor_te23

name TenGigabitEthernet2/3 parameter input_errors_crc is_increment TRUE value 4 delta_val 4 exit_event 0

2    2           success  Wed Oct 3  13:57:31 2012  interface           applet: monitor_te23

name TenGigabitEthernet2/3 parameter input_errors_crc is_increment TRUE value 41 delta_val 37 exit_event 0

entry-val 10000000000 (10G) Not Available? Can Help Me ,

i have same  problem  ,,, This command worked on the 4510 but not on the 6509.  It won't let me set the entry-val to "0".  "1-4294967295" is the available option.  Will setting a 1 here accomplish the same result?  If no crc's are detected this value would be "0" and I don't want this to be triggered if the value is 0 not 1.  Any help?  Or if you can point me to the EEM config guide I will look there

event interface name Vlan142 parameter out_packets_dropped entry-op ge entry-val 10200000000 entry-type value poll-interval 4

10200000000 (10G) NOT Enable ? Can Help me

I'm not sure why'd you'd want to do this.  Packets dropped is a counter.  Do you really want to signal an event every time this counter gets to an exceeds 10200000000?  I don't think so.  It would be better to react to a threshold of increase (like 10 within your four second period).  In that case use entry-type increment and specify a low number that would would consider your rising threshold within your polling interval.

TKytasaari
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to do something similar to this on a Nexus 5696 running 7.1.3.N1.2 code. I want to monitor a port channel interface connecting to a FEX for 10,000 CRC then when I see this I want to shut down the Fex interfaces for example eth116/1/1-48 to fail the servers over to the secondary NIC connected to another Fex on another leaf.

I got something like this maybe so far but I'm not seeing how to monitor a specific interface for this in Nexus

event manager applet monitor_crc

event counter name input_errors_crc entry-val 0 entry-op ge exit-val 10000 exit-op eq

I want the event to only be based on a particular set of ports and then to shut those fex interfaces connected off those ports. Can I do that in Nexus? Or is there a better way than EEM?

parameter input_errors_crc entry-op gt entry-val 0 entry-     type increment exit-comb or exit-op eq exit-val 0 exit-type increment exit-time 5000 exit-event true poll-interval 100000   https://xender.pro/ https://discord.software/ https://omegle.onl/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: