Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing after evaluation mode period for IOS-XE 16.9.X

Mohamed_Ibrahim
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

from release notes for 16.9.x, it seems smart licensing is now the only way for the licensing option.so I need to know if I upgraded the cisco switch platform cat 9K or 3650/3850 to a version higher than 16.9.x the switch license mode will be evaluation mode for 90 days :

- what will happen after 90 days if the switch still not register?

- if I register switch for the first time. it should make the switch able to access the internet all the time?

- what happens if switch unable to access the internet after register for security reasons?

4 Replies 4

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7
Hi,

1. Depend on different platform may have various effect after expiration. Using 9500 as an example, when the evaluation period expires at the end of 90 days, the device goes in to EVAL EXPIRY mode, however there is no functional impact or disruption in functionality, even after reload. Currently there is no enforcement in place.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9500-series-switches/214484-cisco-smart-licensing-troubleshooting.html

2. Depend on your deployment option, if you choose to active through the Internet. It requires the Internet Access permanently, otherwise, after the next scheduled license check (e.g. one month later), if it failed to connect to licensing server via the Internet, it will become evaluation again.

please refer to https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/software/smart-accounts/white-paper-c11-741659.html

3. Also refer to the above reference, you may choose to "Full Offline" deployment option. But pay attention, any change of contract (e.g. renewing RMA) will require manual update for each device. Also, as Cisco stated that, not all model / platforms are supported to be deployed in full-offline mode.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Mohamed_Ibrahim wrote:

what will happen after 90 days if the switch still not register?

The current regime will only "nag" or spam the logs.  It is yet uncertain the future.  It might turn into "policing" if, say, people are abusing this.  

@Mohamed_Ibrahim wrote:

what happens if switch unable to access the internet after register for security reasons?

Do you have DNA Centre appliance?

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

Do you have DNA Centre appliance? no, 

@Leo Laohoo @ngkin2010 

but i wondering what will happen to switch functionality  if :

-  my license level is Network Essentials after evaluation mode expiration ?

-  my license level is Network Advantage after evaluation mode expiration ? 

@Mohamed_Ibrahim wrote:

but i wondering what will happen to switch functionality  if :

-  my license level is Network Essentials after evaluation mode expiration ?

-  my license level is Network Advantage after evaluation mode expiration ? 

For the time being, nothing will happen.  Functionalities will not change.  

The logs, however, will be continuously spammed.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: