Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing / SLP

ramziabdelhak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am still confused with cisco smart licensing even after reading tens of its documentations. If someone can answer the following questions :

- If a have a router with PAK enabled device and turns to a SL device after an upgrade, does it mean the license gets lost if i dont connect it to CSSM or Satelite ?

- For Docs saying : Device will enter Eval Mode but features stays untached (working), does it mean we now can use for free features that was only activated via valid PAK in the past ? 

- And my last question, does SLP introduces in adition to what was presented by SL ?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Its all depends on the device, some devices still support PAK - if you upgraded to latest IOS Xe 16.9.X onwards smart License.

You can convert PAK to Smart License and use it. 

Smart License registration have different types.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/buy/licensing/licensing-guide.html#convert-licenses

Perpetual License will not have any effect even if you not connecting Smart License, but any addon License will have compliance issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

to partially answer your question, the Smart Licensing Proxy is not a separate licensing mechanism but rather an additional component that facilitates Smart Licensing operations in certain network environments, where direct communication between network devices and the CSSM is restricted or not feasible due to network security policies or infrastructure constraints. SLP acts as an intermediary between the network devices and CSSM, allowing devices to communicate with SLP locally within the network, and SLP communicates with CSSM on behalf of the devices. This enables Smart Licensing operations to occur even in environments where direct communication with CSSM is not possible.

HTH