Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Agent and different MIBs

RAlhanani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am new in network management, I read about SNMP protocol, but I need to understand one point.

We have a Server and a Switch with their SNMP Agents,

The Server connectes to the Switch, Is it possible for the SNMP Agent in that Switch directly access and collects the MIB information of the Server? Or each SNMP Agent only has the ability to use its local MIB?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

iportuga
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Firstly, to an introduction about SNMP, refers to Simple Network Management Protocol.

Usually, management system stations (NMS) request each SNMP agent which runs on each device or server.
If you want to use a Cisco switch/router as an SNMP manager is required enable it on global configuration. However, the SNMP manager implementation in Cisco IOS is not designed to work as an SNMP proxy.

SNMP proxy feature is used mostly in servers when you could have multiple server applications with built-in SNMP agents, beyond the operating system SNMP agent.

I recommend you check NET-SNMP documentation, which is de-facto implementation on Linux/Unix and many software relies on NET-SNMP libraries.

There are a lot of SNMP docs and tutorials available, but the best experience is reached exploring SNMP tools.

Others references:
Cisco SNMP TechNotes
SNMP Tutorial - NET-SNMP
SNMP Operation

View solution in original post

>Could the snmp server in the switch provide the information about the host A to the snmp-client in the remote host C.

No , that's a misconception and or you are on a wrong track; the snmp server in the switch will only provide info about the switch statuses according to the MIBS provided.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- SNMP uses a client server model; the switch has an snmp server;providing a number of standard and vender-supported mibs. An snmp-client on a remote host can then query snmp-variables from the different mibs provided by  the switch; provided the client knows the snmp community used by the switch and has access (in acl terms)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for the reply,

If we have two hosts A and B directly connected to switch, these hosts don't have SNMP agents, and a remote host C in different subnet.   

Could the snmp server in the switch provide the information about the host A to the snmp-client in the remote host C.

Best regards,

>Could the snmp server in the switch provide the information about the host A to the snmp-client in the remote host C.

No , that's a misconception and or you are on a wrong track; the snmp server in the switch will only provide info about the switch statuses according to the MIBS provided.

M.

iportuga
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Firstly, to an introduction about SNMP, refers to Simple Network Management Protocol.

Usually, management system stations (NMS) request each SNMP agent which runs on each device or server.
If you want to use a Cisco switch/router as an SNMP manager is required enable it on global configuration. However, the SNMP manager implementation in Cisco IOS is not designed to work as an SNMP proxy.

SNMP proxy feature is used mostly in servers when you could have multiple server applications with built-in SNMP agents, beyond the operating system SNMP agent.

I recommend you check NET-SNMP documentation, which is de-facto implementation on Linux/Unix and many software relies on NET-SNMP libraries.

There are a lot of SNMP docs and tutorials available, but the best experience is reached exploring SNMP tools.

Others references:
Cisco SNMP TechNotes
SNMP Tutorial - NET-SNMP
SNMP Operation

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card