Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMPTrap

ahmedzniti1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to know if is it possible to configure 3 trap snmp on the same cisco router because we have 3 network server management means enable trap on the same device to supervise by for example LMS ,NAGIOS and  OpManager

Regards

Ahmed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes it will happen this way. The Traps you have configured will be sent to all destinations.

To specifically specify on which traps you want to send to perticular server/destination, you use options under the same snmp-server host command.

Example, I want to send bgp, memory and hsrp traps to server 1.1.1.1, i can configure it this way :

snmp-server host 1.1.1.2 public bgp memory hsrp

6500#sh snmp host

Notification host: 1.1.1.1      udp-port: 162   type: trap

user: public    security model: v1

traps: FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF

Notification host: 1.1.1.2      udp-port: 162   type: trap

traps: 80002000.00000000.04000000

Here the trap security model is SNMP v1, you can choose traps to be snmp v1, v2 or v3.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Appriciate Contributors. RATE them.**

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ahmed,

Yes it is very much possible and infact it is vey commonly used configuration. You can add multiple destinations to send traps, however recommended is to have maximum of four, else it may take a toll on your CPU from SNMP Engine process. Though, if the devices doesn't have much load, you can certainly add a couple of more.

Issue the snmp-server host global configuration command to specify the recipient of an SNMP notification operation.

Following is the syntax to add hosts/server IP to as destination for SNMP Trap IP:

snmp-server host host-addr [traps | informs] [version {1 | 2c | 3 [auth | noauth | priv]}] community-string [udp-port port] [notification-type]

You can configure multiple times to define multiple destination hosts.

Please check following example:

6500#show run | in snmp

snmp-server community public RO

snmp-server community test123 RO

snmp-server host 10.10.10.1 test123

snmp-server host 1.1.1.1 public

snmp-server host 1.1.1.2 public

snmp-server host 1.1.1.3 public

You can check more details here :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/simple-network-management-protocol-snmp/13506-snmp-traps.html#topic1

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/command/reference/ffun_r/frf014.html#wp1056809

-Thanks

Vinod
**Encourages contributors, Rate them**

Hi Vinod

Thank you for your reply so i want to ask you ifi i used just the command snmp-server trap enable fo this case the cisco router send all tarps to the three destination or we must specify the trap host

Regards

Ahmed

Yes it will happen this way. The Traps you have configured will be sent to all destinations.

To specifically specify on which traps you want to send to perticular server/destination, you use options under the same snmp-server host command.

Example, I want to send bgp, memory and hsrp traps to server 1.1.1.1, i can configure it this way :

snmp-server host 1.1.1.2 public bgp memory hsrp

6500#sh snmp host

Notification host: 1.1.1.1      udp-port: 162   type: trap

traps: FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF.FFFFFFFF

Notification host: 1.1.1.2      udp-port: 162   type: trap

traps: 80002000.00000000.04000000

Here the trap security model is SNMP v1, you can choose traps to be snmp v1, v2 or v3.

-Thanks

Vinod

**Appriciate Contributors. RATE them.**

Thank you so much Vinod

Regards

Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: