Views
Helpful
Replies

Solarwinds Unable to ssh to Cisco SSG500X switch to capture config

cHrome08
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have an issue with Solarwind trying to access/download the SSG500X configuration as a backup.

My solarwind is able to download all other network device config apart from this SSG500X.

I have configured the SSG500X in a way that it will create a log after every SSH (successfull and rejected) attempts.

However, when i tried to SSH from the Solarwind Application, there is no logs generated.
When i tried to SSH from the VM (that host that Solarwind Application) there is logs generated, so issue is with the communication from the Solarwind to the device.

Now, at this stage, some of you might say that this question should be posted on Solarwind community, but I beg to differ.
This is because i did a step further and did a tcp dump on the VM to see the difference in the SSH communication between 
a) Solarwind and the SSG500X
b) Solarwind and a working device (lets say a 2960)

for connection A, it seems like SSG500X is trying to exchange an SSH protocol called OpenSSH whereas Solarwind is trying to use WeOnlyDo.net

For connection B, the 2960 switch (and i check another cisco router too) is trying to exchange an SSH protocol Cisco-1.25 whereas the Solarwind was using WeOnlyDo.net

For connection A, after exchanging the protocol, there was no activity.
For connection B, after exchanging the SSH protocol, keys was exchanged and they began to talk to one another.

I was wondering if anyone else has this issue and if any Gurus could help me out.

Thanks.

Regards,

Han

(Fyi, my solarwind IP is 10.19.20.250, the SSG550X is 10.19.0.235 and the 2960S is 10.19.0.239. Attached is the screenshot of the tcp dump)

4 Replies 4

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello,

as i know, for sg is necessary to input ssh username and password from switch SG on device imported to solarwinds.

Check it:

Assign user-level login credentials to nodes
1. Choose Settings > Manage Nodes.
2. Select one or more nodes.
3. Click Edit Properties.
4. Scroll down to Manage node(s) with NCM, and verify that Yes is selected.
5. If multiple nodes are selected, click the Connection Profile check box to enable editing.
6. For Login Credentials, select User.

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/ncm/Content/NCM-Setting-User-Level-Login-Credentials.htm
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hi Jaderson,

Thanks for the response.

I have created the connection profile for the SSH connection to all my nodes in NCM.

I can confirm that the profile is working fine as its a tacacs credential.

The only problem that I am having is this particular model of switch (SG550X) is not able to SSH via Solarwinds.

Thank you.

Regards,

Han

Hi Guys,

Just informating that in the end, I had to engage Solarwinds to create a custom template to allow the backup of configs for the SG550X switches.

Great.

nice to know that your problem was solved.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: