Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH connection from LMS

Mark Richards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got an issue I hope someone can help with. I have 2 x 4510 Catalysts and 1 x 4506 Catalyst switches that have been relocated within my estate. Since the move my LMS 4.2 seems to be unable to perform a config collection or carry out any sort of netconfig job on those three devices.

LMS is set to use SSH and if I check by using PuTTY from the server or my own PC all is ok but when I try a "reachability status" check I get the following

"Could not detect SSH protocols running on the device TFTP is not supported as a connection protocol for VLAN Fetch, Only TELNET and SSH are supported as connection protocols for VLAN Fetch TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to x.x.x.x - Cause: Connection refused."

Image.jpg

I've tried to delete the devices and re-add them but it's made no difference.

SSH is obviously running ok as I can PuTTY from anywhere else it's just the LMS application itself which can't connect

4 Replies 4

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

Are you using TACACS to device authentocation ?

Are there any Custom prompts configure on the device like :

login as:

Password:

If yes then open the TACACSPROMPT.ini file (NMSROOT/CSCOpx/objects/cmf/data )

The Tacacsprompt file will have the following entries:

[TELNET]

USERNAME_PROMPT=

PASSWORD_PROMPT=

---

For e.g:

[TELNET]

USERNAME_PROMPT=login as:

PASSWORD_PROMPT=Password:

Add your prompts in the file and see how it woorks.. This could be one of the reason for failure.

I hope this will help

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

No, I don't use TACACS, just SSH with RADIUS authentication on Windows NPS which all works from every other location (even the desktop of the server running LMS 4.2.1)

Fixed!

Look like I was a victim of this bug.

I was unable to upgrade but doing a "ip ssh ver 2" on the devices worked.

Interesting bug, Mark. I hadn't heard of that one - it's a good one to be apprised of.

Thanks for updating the thread.