Views
Helpful
Replies

SSM Multicast and Unicast not working in same switch

JITINKALYANI
Level 1
Level 1

JITINKALYANI_1-1715333697408.png

• Encoder has just one interface too generate Multicast and Unicast video streams
  • If all ports of switch are in same VLAN and SSM is not enabled, Client1 is able to play unicast and Client 2 is able to play multicast but when number of streams increase we get reverse multicast traffic and video start freezing
  • If SSM is configured to stop reverse traffic, unicast stop working

How can both unicast and multicast work in this switch?

4 Replies 4

Torbjørn
Spotlight
Spotlight

PIM SSM routing on a single L3 switch should work pretty much out of the box. Using PIM SSM also requires unicast routing to work for the PIM/SSM routing to work as well.

Could you post the relevant config from your switch(routing, interface and multicast config)? Could you also clarify what you mean when you say that "SSM is configured to stop reverse traffic"?

A couple things i noticed:

• Your multicast group addresses seem to be outside of the designated multicast address ranges(224.0.0.0 - 239.255.255.255) . If you wish to do PIM SSM you will likely have to configure "ip pim ssm range (range)" for your L3 switch to recognize it as being SSM routed.
  • Client 2 is listed as "No IP", does this mean that it is getting a DHCP address? If not, how is it supposed to participate in IGMP?

Happy to help! Please mark as helpful/solution if applicable.
Get in touch: https://torbjorn.dev

If I do not configure PIM SSM, unicast traffic works fine. Multicast traffic also works fine till a 105 video services of 4 mbps each. As soon as 106th video service is configured, video starts freezing in all multicast services.

When I configure PIM SSM, all multicast video services (more than 105) work fine but, unicast services stop getting delivered to destination.

Hello,

in addition to the running configuration, can you also post the output of 'sh ver' ?

IMG-20240517-WA0002.jpg

currently SSM is not configured and unicast is working fine. Sorry there was typo in multicast IP. It is of proper multicast range.

Current config and version details are attached for your reference.