Announcements

Ask the Expert- SD-WAN

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

TCL sockets broken in 12.2(58)SE ?

Hi,

I have been working on a tcl script that performs autoprovisioning of catalyst 2960 switches. The scripts sends an email report using TCL TCP sockets on port 25.

The problem I'm facing now is that I did a cross-check on the newest-released IOS 12.2(58)SE, and it appears that the TCL socket functionality is not working anymore on Catalyst 2960 *AND* 3560 switches :

Switch#tclsh

Switch(tcl)#socket 10.190.2.8 25

couldn't open socket: invalid argument

Switch(tcl)#

whereas with previous versions it would work correctly :
Switch#tclsh
Switch#socket 10.190.2.8 25
sock0
Switch#
-server sockets still seem to work but that's not what I need.
Using EEM SMTP applets is not an option as well since that's not supported on a Catalyst 2960....
Thanks,
Koen.

Everyone's tags (3)
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

Re: TCL sockets broken in 12.2(58)SE ?

This looks like an occurrence of CSCsy06373 in the SE branch.  This bug affects IPv4 client sockets.  IPv6 should work fine.

The bug was originally filed internally.  No, there is no workaround for IPv4 sockets.

Applets do not use Tcl.  They use native C within IOS.  However, EEM Tcl policies would see the same problem.

6 REPLIES 6

This looks like an occurrence of CSCsy06373 in the SE branch.  This bug affects IPv4 client sockets.  IPv6 should work fine.

Hi Joseph, thank you very much for the very quick feedback. Unfortunately the details for the bug you mentioned are not visible to me,

I suppose there's no workaround possible for this bug ?

Thanks again and best regards.

The bug was originally filed internally.  No, there is no workaround for IPv4 sockets.

OK, thanks for the help.

FWIW, on a cat 3560 it is possible to send an email using an EEM applet (Action x.x mail server "etc"), which -I think- also uses TCL.

I guess the difference is that EEM applets are not restricted as much as user-issued tcl scripts (Safe-tcl).

Best regards.

Applets do not use Tcl.  They use native C within IOS.  However, EEM Tcl policies would see the same problem.

Great info, thanks. I'll try to hang around in the forums some more in the future, returning the favor if I can.

In the meantime I worked around this issue by doing a software downgrade in TCL, something I wasn't really planning on doing, but I think to have found a safe way of doing that.

Cheers.

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards