cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic QoS for a CISCO 3925

tkalfaoglu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.. I would like to configure a QoS for the outgoing traffic on my router.

I would like services like Zoom or Teamviewer to have the highest priorities and all other services to be able to send when there is unused bandwidth. How can I set this up?

Many thanks, -turgut

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You're off to a good start then.

Other considerations. . .

Your router is a 3625?  Unaware of such a model.  Perhaps a 3725 or 3825?  In any case, any ISR before the 4K series (and not even all of them) is a gig capable router, even when they have gig interfaces.

Second, if you're only using only two interfaces, both same bandwidth, it's almost impossible to congest the egress interface.

Third, if you egress port's bandwidth is actually more than what's available (like connecting to cable modems, ADSL modems, etc.), for QoS to be effective, you should shape the physical interface to the available bandwidth.  One exception, if your using a multi-speed port, and you can run it at the actual available bandwidth speed, or a tad less, for QoS, that's better than using a QoS shaper.  (E.g. your gig port is connected at gig to a link that only provides 100 Mbps effective bandwidth.  If possible, run port at 100 Mbps.)

Two issues with using a PQ (router LLQ), it preempts all other traffic.  This can starve lower priority traffic from obtaining ANY bandwidth, so to avoid that, LLQ used to offer an implicit policer.  (Unsure what the later versions do, by default.)

The newer LLQ versions, I know, support two subqueues, with one having absolute priority over the other.  The recommendation is to only use PQ 1 for VoIP traffic, and place stuff like real-time video into PQ 2.

PQ should be used when fully understood when it really must be used, and how to best configure it.

What you might first try is just the following:

policy-map OnlineTeaching
class class-default
fair-queue !FQ, alone, often well handles 90% of QoS needs

If you video seems to suffer, then you might try:

class Try2
bandwidth percent 99
fair-queue
class class-default
bandwidth percent 1
fair-queue

The latter using your Try2 class-map.  Why the latter, rather than what you have now?  I can use FQ for multiple streams, yet can still give it, up to, almost full pre-emption priority (the 99 vs 1 %).  Also what PQ/LLQ does with overrate traffic, it's policed, i.e. dropped, by the latter policy will queue overrate traffic, which I believe is slightly better for video.

Depending on your QoS stats, other QoS setting might be needed, like increased the 64 packet class queue limits.  (64 is often "shallow" for gig or even 100 Mbps.)

Also, on the QoS egress interface, you might add "tx-ring-limit 3".

Lastly, keep in mind, ideally, you want QoS at every interface, but the one where it's most critical is the one that's a bottleneck for the end-to-end path.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

tkalfaoglu
Level 1
Level 1

After some shuffling, I think I got it.. Please verify my work:  (0/0 is the outbound interface)

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
service-policy output OnlineTeaching
!
ip access-list extended OnlineTeaching
permit udp any any range 3478 3479
permit udp any any range 8801 8810
permit tcp any any eq 9090
permit tcp any any eq 8888
permit udp any any eq 8889
permit udp any any range 3478 3481
!
class-map match-all Try
match access-group name OnlineTeaching
!
policy-map OnlineTeaching
class Try
 priority
class class-default
 bandwidth remaining percent 100

Your class map, I believe, should use match-any, not match-all.

I'll try to provide more info later today.

tkalfaoglu
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks. I changed it to match-any, and it appears to work..

#show policy-map int  
GigabitEthernet0/0  

Service-policy output: OnlineTeaching

queue stats for all priority classes:
     Queueing
     queue limit 64 packets
     (queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0
     (pkts output/bytes output) 30/5487

Class-map: Try2 (match-any)   
     30 packets, 5487 bytes
     5 minute offered rate 0000 bps, drop rate 0000 bps
     Match: access-group name OnlineTeaching
       30 packets, 5487 bytes
       5 minute rate 0 bps
     Priority: Strict, b/w exceed drops: 0

Class-map: class-default (match-any)   
     2368685 packets, 235392268 bytes
     5 minute offered rate 445000 bps, drop rate 0000 bps
     Match: any  
     Queueing
     queue limit 64 packets
     (queue depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0
     (pkts output/bytes output) 2368686/235393740
     bandwidth remaining 100%

You're off to a good start then.

Other considerations. . .

Your router is a 3625?  Unaware of such a model.  Perhaps a 3725 or 3825?  In any case, any ISR before the 4K series (and not even all of them) is a gig capable router, even when they have gig interfaces.

Second, if you're only using only two interfaces, both same bandwidth, it's almost impossible to congest the egress interface.

Third, if you egress port's bandwidth is actually more than what's available (like connecting to cable modems, ADSL modems, etc.), for QoS to be effective, you should shape the physical interface to the available bandwidth.  One exception, if your using a multi-speed port, and you can run it at the actual available bandwidth speed, or a tad less, for QoS, that's better than using a QoS shaper.  (E.g. your gig port is connected at gig to a link that only provides 100 Mbps effective bandwidth.  If possible, run port at 100 Mbps.)

Two issues with using a PQ (router LLQ), it preempts all other traffic.  This can starve lower priority traffic from obtaining ANY bandwidth, so to avoid that, LLQ used to offer an implicit policer.  (Unsure what the later versions do, by default.)

The newer LLQ versions, I know, support two subqueues, with one having absolute priority over the other.  The recommendation is to only use PQ 1 for VoIP traffic, and place stuff like real-time video into PQ 2.

PQ should be used when fully understood when it really must be used, and how to best configure it.

What you might first try is just the following:

class class-default
fair-queue !FQ, alone, often well handles 90% of QoS needs

If you video seems to suffer, then you might try:

class Try2
bandwidth percent 99
fair-queue
class class-default
bandwidth percent 1
fair-queue

The latter using your Try2 class-map.  Why the latter, rather than what you have now?  I can use FQ for multiple streams, yet can still give it, up to, almost full pre-emption priority (the 99 vs 1 %).  Also what PQ/LLQ does with overrate traffic, it's policed, i.e. dropped, by the latter policy will queue overrate traffic, which I believe is slightly better for video.

Depending on your QoS stats, other QoS setting might be needed, like increased the 64 packet class queue limits.  (64 is often "shallow" for gig or even 100 Mbps.)

Also, on the QoS egress interface, you might add "tx-ring-limit 3".

Lastly, keep in mind, ideally, you want QoS at every interface, but the one where it's most critical is the one that's a bottleneck for the end-to-end path.

tkalfaoglu
Level 1
Level 1

Oh, I meant  3925 I'm very sorry

Thank you very much for your very useful feedback! 

Implementing them now..