cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to reach Access L3 switch via Windows CMD (Internet is fine).

NSNaveenKumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Geeks,

There are a Cisco ISR 4331 and Cisco 4507 (Core) and some Cisco 3650 (Access Switches's) in my Network,

I'm unable to take control of an Access switch via Telnet\SSH directly from putty, but able to access from Core to Access Switch (vice versa) and I can't PING the Access Switch from Windows CMD too, but Internet is working fine on all the switches.

Since I'm new to the Network, I can't express the issue in a better way, Kindly support to resolve this.

Pls find the attachment of my network.

Thanks in advance…!

Regards
Naveen

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure the path to the ISR is not blocked from the laptop by routing constraints or traffic filtering (ACLs or firewalling) ; you can check this with tracert  ISR-hostname   or nmap --reason -p22 ISR-hostname(e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

the issue in Access SW, it must have correct default gateway. 
do you config default gateway point to Core SVI ?

The solution you referred isn't working, FYI.
Core IP – 172.16.5.254 and Access SW IP – 172.16.5.1

Access SW config I applied:
#ip default-gateway 172.16.5.254

#sh ip route
172.16.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 172.16.5.0/24 is directly connected, Vlan5
L 172.16.5.1/32 is directly connected, Vlan5

""able to access from Core to Access Switch""
PC-Core-Access 

You can connect Access SW from Core because Core use VLAN5 SVI to connect to VLAN5 SVI of Access SW, there is L2 
if you try using PC with IP within subnet of VLAN5 SVI (sure PC must connect to port assign to vlan5 in Core SW) you can connect to access SW. 

OR 
using in access switch 
ip default gateway <VLAN5 SVI IP of Core SW>
this allow you to connect access SW if PC have any IP.

Able to access "Core-to-Access SW" via Putty SSH, I'm not even get ping response from the Access SW on Windows CMD.

NSNaveenKumar
Level 1
Level 1

[Resolved]

The issue is resolved after adding a routing command on the Access SW.

#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.5.254

Thank you for the update letting us know that you resolved the issue. In our discussions we had been assuming that the access switch was operating as a layer 2 switch. For a layer 2 switch the command that you used "ip default-gateway 172.16.5.254" would be correct. The fact that the solution was to configure a static default route indicates that ip routing was enabled and the switch was operating as a layer 3 switch.

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card