Views
Helpful
Replies

[URGENT] I need some help - theorical Questions

jotaanne
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys!!

So, I'm a beginner in GSN3 and in Networking.

I did a local network with this configuration:

I have 6 ipterm hosts(3 with Class A private IP(A1,A2,A3) and 3 with Class B private IP(B1,B2,B3));

I have 2 switches(1 connecting A1,A2,A3 let's call it Switch A and 1 connecting B1,B2,B3 let's call it Switch B) and I have 1 router conecting Switch A to switch B.

My questions are:

1)"Take a look at the MAC address structure defined by IEEE. Explain by
your own words the reason to assign 4 to the least significant 4 bits of the MAC addresses
manually assigned to the end nodes."
In other words, why we need to assign 4 to the least significant 4 bits of the MAC Address?

2)Why when I start WireShark and start my router , appears some ARP. Why the ARP appears when I start my router and what's the porpuse of it?
3)Why when I start one of my ipterm host's(A1) and start wireshark don't appear any ARP? Why only appears on my router and don't appears on my Host?
4)Can I have  the same private IP Address on 2 ipterm's hosts(ip address of A1 in A1 and A2) on my local Network ? Why when I put the same ip adress on my host(let say A1 and in my host A2) and ping from the router to that ip address i don't have any error ou packet loss? Some told me about a RFC1918 but IDK what it is! Can someone help me explaining this ?
5)What is a PDU and can someone explain or show me a link to a video explaining the RFC 1180??

Thanks GUYS!!

Ps: sorry for my english I'm new in England.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

can you post a screenshot of the Wireshark output ? Which MAC address does the ARP come from (that is, does it come from the router itself, or the switches, or the IPTerms) ?

Hello Georg!

I think that comes from the router itself

My Ipterms host's when I turn on don't do ARP I one of the questions is why they don't do ARP , why in this case only the router itself does?