JSGabriel
Level 1
Level 1

Hardware Software profile;

Laptop - Windows 7

Desktop - Vista Ultimate SP2

Router - Cisco Linksys E3200

Cables - CAT6

I am a sales engineer, so I use my desktop and laptop all the time. When on road, I sync my desktop with my laptop using a program called ViceVersa. This a very good, reliable syncing program that I have been using for over 10 years  ( with upgrades ).

The program allows me to sync my desktop and laptop. The program also shows the data transfer rate during the syncing process. The typical data transfer speed is between 5MB/s and 10MB/s with sometimes up to 12MB/s. A typical sync between the computers will take about 3 - 5 minutes at the ~ 10 MB/s transfer rate using ethernet CAT6 cable inteface.

At about 11pm last Tuesday,there was a Windows update on both my Vist and Win7 computers. On wednesday, I went to do a typical sync. The system has dramatically slowed to 59KB/s max. This is about 150 times slower than 5-10MB/s that I was used to for so many years. My typical sync was now taking about 2 hours....unacceptable !!!

I have tried everything to figure out what is going on and how to fix it but nothing has helped.

Then I tried to see what would happen if I disconnected my ethernet cable ( between the router and the laptop only ) and just sync using the wireless network. With that configuration, the transfer rate is ~ 2.5 MB/s which is not great but is much, much better than 59KB/s. I actually do not know what a reasonable wireless transfer rate should be since I never really did it before due to the faster speed of the wired configuration.

This is just a LAN. Only connecting my Desktop to my Laptop via the Cisco router.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my wired configuration back up to the 5-10MB/s transfer rate that it once was?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

JSG

2 Replies 2

a.whiting
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Just a thought...have you tried disabling the Windows firewall and re-testing?

Regards,

Andy.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are suspecting that the Windows update had something to do with your LAN going slow, then try the following:

1.  Look for updates for your clients LAN NIC driver; or

2.  Un-install the updates.