Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake-on-lan problems with CBS350-16T-2G V03

Hello everybody, 

I've created a lan network between my 11 computers and connected all to a Cisco Switch CBS350-16T-2G V03, but i have some problems.

I'd like to turn on 10 computers with magic packets sent from my main computer with Wake-On-Lan system.
The operation I do is: wait that the switch turns his leds on, then send the magic packets to the other computers. Randomly some computer doesn't turn on even if leds on switch and net-port blinks. Sometimes one or two or three computers doesn't turn on, not all the same every time.
I've checked if magic packets are sent with Wireshark program and they are.
If the program where I send magic packets is still running and I disconnect netcable and put it back in the pc (that didn't turn on before), the computer turns on.

It seems that the problem is connected to the switch, because i've already try to change all of the 11 computers. 
I've tried also with Cisco Switch CBS350-24T-4G V03 with no results.
Net-ports are Intel Ethernet Controller i219-LM.
The computers are HP Z4 G4 Workstation (1JP11AV)

Anybody can help me?

26 Replies 26

Hello, 

sorry for late reply....

I use WOL Magic Packet Sender (WOLSetup15.msi).

Which setting should I change?

Hello,

is it this one ?

http://magicpacket.free.fr/

Yes that one!

Hello,

that program looks outdated (it supports XP and Windows 7). Can you try any of the programs listed in the link below ?

https://www.netadmintools.com/wake-on-lan-software#wbounce-modal

Hello,

i've tried with "Aquilatech WOL" program in the list in the link you've send (https://wol.aquilatech.com/). Same problem, one pc didn't turn on. I've disconnected and connected the net cable then it turned on....

Do you know which setting should I check in the default switch settings? 

Thanks

Fun thing that can help...
I've put Administrative Port Speed = 100M like in the following picture

giuseppecancelliere_0-1668588471428.png

then i've tried 10 times and all computers turned on correctly each times...

How is it possible? 

ps: i unfortunately need to set 1GBps at 10pc's nics for the system created.. so with 100M i can't connect correctly to the 10computers.. is it possible that magic packets don't "run" correctly with 1GBps speed?

Hello,

I've done some updates to NIC's Intel driver (to 27.7.0.2 version) and Switch Firmware to 3.2.0.89 version, but I still have the problem. 

Do you have any other test I can do?

Thanks

Hello,

interesting observation about the difference between 100MB and 1G. I am just thinking: the physical architecture of the switches is usually that ports (e.g. 1-8 and 9-16) are grouped together at the backplane. I don't know which ports you have in use, but if you have ten computers, what you could try is connect them to port 1-5 and 12-16, thereby evenly distribute them.

Hello,

thanks for the quick reply.

Now i've changed the configuration and i'm using only 5 computers (+1 master) in this net. And still have problems cause it's the same 16ports switch.

Now they are connected to 1-3-5-7-9-11 GEports.
So are you suggestin to put them in 1to3 and 13to16? 

Hello,

can you check if your NICs have a 'WOL & Shutdown Link Speed' option (as in the attached image) ?

nic-intel-i219-lm.png
Here attached a few information.. NICs don't have "WOL & Shutdown Link Speed".... 

I hope I answer to your question..

mfjoela
Level 1
Level 1

Were you able to solve your problem besides setting the ports to 100Mbps? We are experiencing a similar issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card