cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Webui Firmware Upgrade

TyIT
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone used the Webui to upgrade their Cisco Router Firmware? If so, how did it go? Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what model of the router ? what version of code running , what is version you looking to upgrade ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Balaji,

Cisco 3850 running 16.3 moving to 16.12.

i have not tried it using GUI ? msot use case via cli only ?

bare in mind once move to 16.12.X you need to go with smart License.

or other method :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-software-documents/smart-license-using-policy-slp/ta-p/4167670

BB

Balaji,

I appreciate that information. I was not aware that I would need the "Smart License" when moving to 16.12.X.

yes After 16.9.X IOS XE Cisco made mandator Smart License. so provided that link for smart License

You cannot use the Web UI to install, upgrade, or downgrade device software.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-3850.html#concept_ilc_t4y_m2b

BB

Balaji,

What is the actual purpose of the smart license? Can you not upgrade the firmware without it? I appreciate the help. 

OLD days we use to PAK License, which cisco removed now they do smart License system, that means device need to connect online to Cisco portal and validate the License, the device keeps connecting every X-days or less to keep validate the information.

if the no contact with the smart license server after some time the feature additionally installed may not work or compliance issues may encounter here.

this is a high level more information can be found here :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/software/smart-accounts/software-licensing.html#~product-docs

BB

Balaji,

I have to upgrade the firmware Cisco 3850 running 16.3 moving to 16.12. Do I have to have the smart licenses ahead of time? Or can I upgrade the firmware and do it after? 

You can upgrade and enable smart License config later.

BB

Awesome Balaji,

I greatly appreciate your help.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Depending on device model , sometimes CLI is the only possible option. Check Release Notes and always review installation and upgrade notes.

M;

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

TyIT
Level 1
Level 1

I have to upgrade the firmware Cisco 3850 running 16.3 moving to 16.12. Do I have to have the smart licenses ahead of time? Or can I upgrade the firmware and do it after? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card