cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is honor based license? (Nexus 9372px)

loveandrew821
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

some of our device are using features such as 'ospf' and 'pim' without valid license.(no license file at all)

when the features were enabled, below log appeared.

[ Log ]  

!!!!!! WARNING: 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' LICENSE NOT FOUND ON THE SYSTEM !!!!!!.
You have tried to enable a licensed feature [pim] without installing the 'LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG' license, which has not been found on the system.
System supports honor based license.Feature will be enabled and fully functional.
License usage for feature will appear after licence intall and a reload.
If you have enabled this feature in error, please disable the feature.
If you have not purchased the license, please contact your Cisco account team to order the license.
It is in violation of Cisco's Terms of Use to use this feature without purchasing the license.

Fortunately, the features are enabled and fully functional as it said in the log but still weird how could it be possible to be enabled without license.

I can see the system supports honor based license and the feature fully functional... can anyone explain what is honor based license.

Do I have to purchase a valid license? or the honor based license is safe to use without risk?

If the honor based license has limitation, please let me know.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Honor-based license means that Cisco is not enforcing the terms and conditions by disabling the feature in the abseence of a valid license file.

You should obtain and install a valid license in order to be compliant legally. The features will work without it however.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Honor-based license means that Cisco is not enforcing the terms and conditions by disabling the feature in the abseence of a valid license file.

You should obtain and install a valid license in order to be compliant legally. The features will work without it however.

Hi Thank you for this great tips.

At this time Cisco Nexus3000/9000 do not support Grace period license that's why if I want to use OSPF/BGP by enabling feature ospf/bgp command, then, it is just functioning without valid license right? 

And I think related CCO manual is below however the info just says Honor-based so I do not figure it out totally...

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Cisco Nexus 3000 and 9000 Series Switches : Honor-based

Best Regards,

Masanobu Hiyoshi

系统支持基于荣誉的许可证 没有 LAN1K9 许可的情况下运行了 OSPF ,OSPF 路由协议可以永远的正常运行吗?

System support Honor based license If OSPF is running without LAN1K9 license, will OSPF routing protocol work forever?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card