cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What license needed to use the IP SLA tracking in Cisco 2911 (IOS v15) ?

randms2610
Level 1
Level 1

I am using cisco 2911 router and system image file is c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.154-1.T1.bin

I want to use ip sla monitoring to track the availability of my main gateway (default route to ISP1) and if it fails it will switch the default route to ISP2 .. the command is something like this:

ip sla 1 
 icmp-echo 8.8.8.8
 timeout 250
 threshold 250
 frequency 1

however, the ip sla monitoring command seems not available on my 2911

Router01(config)#ip sla ?
  key-chain  Use MD5 Authentication for IP SLAs Control Messages
  responder  Enable IP SLAs Responder
  server     IPPM server configuration

I read somewhere else that I need to add an additional license in order to use that command... what additional license that I need?

this is the current license that I have

Technology Package License Information for Module:'c2900'

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technology    Technology-package                  Technology-package
              Current              Type           Next reboot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipbase        ipbasek9             Permanent      ipbasek9
security      None                 None           None
uc            None                 None           None
data          None                 None           None
NtwkEss       None                 None           None
CollabPro     None                 None           None

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI ,

The IP Base software does not support ip sla feature.

You need the Security or Data License to use this feature.

Thanks-

Afroz

****Ratings Encourages Contributors ***

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI ,

The IP Base software does not support ip sla feature.

You need the Security or Data License to use this feature.

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

hello!

thanks for the answer, i've accept it as the correct answer.

but, can you please add more detail what kind of command that i'll get when i purchase the security and data license?

thanks

Hi ,

Use the below link to Apply the license. Contact the license team to get the License:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/sw_activation/SA_on_ISR.html#pgfId-1097551

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/csa/configuration/guide/csa_commands.html#wp1313317

Thanks-

Afroz

hello!

AFROJ AHMAD, is it possible to use full IP SLA with IP BASE + UC license? I cannot find any proof link about it, exept one IP SLA deployment guide (2012 year):

Cisco IOS IP Base—Cisco IP SLA responder is included in the IP Base image. Cisco IP SLA sender, for operations beyond basic Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) operations, requires an image beyond IP Base (for example, Unified Communications, Security, etc.).

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/SBA/August2012/Cisco_SBA_BN_NetworkMonitoringUsingIPSLAAndPrimeLMSDeploymentGuide-Aug2012.pdf

Hello,

No , it is not possible , you need to have " Security or Data License to use this feature."

Thanks-

Afroz

Afroz, thank you for the answer!

Can you, please, share any official cisco proof link?

There is also one important question: can we use Feature Navigator when choosing appropriate licenses for different devices?
Assume, that we want to choose appropriate license for "IP SLA's UDP jitter" feature for 3925 and 2911 router:

• for 2911 router we can see, that with UNIVERSAL IOS we can use it with IP BASE license without UC, SEC and DATA, whereas with UNIVERSAL NO PAYLOAD IOS the minimal requiment is IP BASE + DATA feature.
  • for 3925 router we can see only UNIVERSAL NO PAYLOAD IOS with minimal requiment IP BASE + DATA and etc. feature
  • for 3925E router we can again see both UNIVERSAL IOS with IP BASE license without UC, SEC and DATA, and UNIVERSAL NO PAYLOAD IOS the minimal requiment IP BASE + DATA etc. features (file is attched)

I am a little bit confused with these different results from feature navigator.

According to it in 2911 we can use IP SLA's UDP jitter feature just with IP BASE license without UC, SEC and DATA which doesn't corresponds with your previous post.

Sorry, but then how to understand?

uc.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: