cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where can I download the newest iOS for 3600 series router

kevpfeifle1
Level 1
Level 1

3600 seriesI bought a Cisco 3600 series a year ago and still can't get it set up I'm thinking it is iOS problem where can I download the newest iOS for this unit it is the bigger 3600 series

16 Replies 16

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If that's an old 3640, those have not been sold by Cisco since 2002.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d840.html

The software for them has long since been discontinued and no longer offered for download.

Will any of the newer software work on it or is there open source software for it?

Unfortunately the only source for that software was Cisco. And as Marvin points out Cisco stopped making that software available a long time ago. There is no open source software for the 3600 routers.

I am not sure what is the problem with setting up this router. But a software update does not seem to be a realistic solution for this problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

When I go through programming ports it does not see all of them as if the software is not functioning to see inactive ports it's not showing them at all. 

It does not see the bank of fe ports

Please share output of the following commands:

show version
show inventory
show ip interface brief

Show inventory does not work and I only plugged in one power supply 

It's running version 12.2(31)

Your problem is shown in the error message:

00:00:07: %PA-2-UNDEFPA: Undefined Port Adaptor type 1 in bay 4

Bay 4 is were the switch module is installed.

It is not being recognized by the router IOS.

Can you confirm the full version number from the output of "show version"? That module requires IOS 12.2(8)T or later to be recognized. the "T" is important as the technology train is where new hardware support was introduced. If you have a "mainline" (non-T) release, the system will not recognize certain modules that were not released until after the "T train" was re-merged with mainline in a later minor release. 

I don't see a t afterwards.

Right - you don't have a "T" version running.

I suspect whoever sold it to you had some old modules laying around and put them in the chassis without ever checking for compatibility.

Unless somebody happens to have archived a 12.2(8)T (or later T version) image and is willing to share it with you, that card will not be recognized.

Cisco doesn't have an archive I could get it from?

I'm sure they have internal copies but they don't publish those.

Cisco's general policy is to make software available for download for 5 years after the product is no longer sold.

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/eos-eol-policy.html

They stopped selling the 3660 router about 13 years ago.

So in  other words Cisco will not help me and I bought a boat anchor

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card