Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Heatmaps in Cisco Prime 3.2 - best practice

ciscoprolin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

what are your recommendations regarding adding new heatmaps in Cisco Prime 3.2 ?

1. which format suits best ? .jpg / .png ?

2. Do you measure the length/width dimensions from one end of the white background to the other or do you measure the dimensions from the outer edge of the building wall on side A to the other outer edge of the building wall on the opposite side ?

3. There is a new feature in PI 3.2 (Tools) named "set scale". Do you use this for measuring the exact lenght and width ?

Thanks for your ideas.

Cheers,

Thorsten

3 Replies 3

pieterh
VIP
VIP

just to be sure we use the same terminology: it's just "maps" not heatmaps,  the heatmap is the coverage area of an AP on a map.

I think the tool you refer to only enables Prime to safe the image in a larger format then default.
wich enables you more zoom levels (in/out) when displaying the maps.
-> it scales size of the image without scaling the dimensions of the map.

In my experience .png files are a little smaller in filesize, but both formats will do just fine for PI.

usually when i create a building i specify an area that is larger than the area covered by the .png image.

measure the distance between any two points on the original map for reference. I'm fortunate to be able to access the .dwg files of our facility department an use the "measure"tool within DWG-truview
then when i import the .png i use the scale tool in Prime to specify the distance between the same two points. Prime then rescales the image so the distance will match.

thanks for your reply. Yes of course I'm talking about maps which serve as the basis for the generation of heat maps.
.png sounds good we use them as well.
When I used the tool "Set scale" - the dimensions of the floor map had been changed accordingly - which in my eyes makes sense, as the measurements on the map provided by the architect usually are correct.
The only thing that disturbs me in PI 3.2 is that there is no more function "Maintain Aspect Ratio" as had been the case in PI 3.1. When I set scale for a horizontal measurement all other horizontal measurements will be correct as well but the vertical measurements will no longer correspond to the real measurements of the architects' map. And vice versa if I adapt any vertical distance to the real world measurement taken from the architects' map all vertical measurements on the PI map will be correct but the horizontal will change as well to a wrong value. I think this misbehavior could be fixed by disabling "maintain aspect ratio" but as I mentioned before this feature somehow seems to have been removed by the Cisco Prime developers in PI 3.2.

Hi thanks. Yes I'm referring to maps which serve as the basis for generating heatmaps.

Yes .png is fine for us as well.

With the new tool "Set scale" the dimensions of the floor map will be changed accordingly.

I have tested it out.

What I'm sorely missing in PI 3.2 is the function "maintain aspect ratio" which I'd like to disable

as the vertical measurements will always be falsified if I correct the horizontal measurement using the tool "Set Scale" and

enter the values displayed on the map from the architect.