cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2110 FTD HA setup w/ Virtual Mac Addresses

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

I setup a pair of 2110s (6.5.0.4) in HA that are managed by an FMC w/ a port-channel facing the LAN and a single outside interface for now.  I set the port-channel and the outside interface to use a virtual mac address for the active and standby units.  I don't have any standby ip addresses defined for either.  I've noticed that while the interfaces are up/up on the core, I'm not seeing the standby mac address on the switch it's connected to.  if I failover the active mac is populated where I'd expect it to be, but curious as to why the standby isn't there.  On a similar setup w/ a pair of ASAs i do see it so I'd expect the same. 

16 Replies 16

ghdowns
Level 1
Level 1

I know that this is a very old post, found useful for my needs, but, i think the original question was that you cannot see the secondary virtual MAC for the standby unit.

You did not assign a secondary IP address for the the interface.  Therefore, the need for a MAC address is unnecessary and although connected to a switch, it is not sending nor receiving any frames and therefore does not need to announce it's MAC address.  The standby unit uses the standby IP.  

From the original post:

"I don't have any standby ip addresses defined for either."

if you assign a standby address, you will see the standby virtual MAC address live on the port expected.  I do recommend using a standby address to enable better interface monitoring for failover.  

Many thanks for your advice.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card