cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

advertise VPN subnet with RIP

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I would like to advertise the subnet I use for IPSec VPN clients via RIP to my inside network.  I am running ASA 8.4 code.  I have enabled RIP V2 and made sure the interface connected to the inside network is not configured as passive.  I added the subnet of the inside interface to the networks list and I don't have any authentication configured either.  Routers on the inside network are not receiving the VPN subnet via RIP.  What else do I need to do?  Do I need to configure a route-map with the VPN subnet?  Does reverse-route on the VPN cryptomap have anything to do with this?

Thanks,

Diego

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to add the reverse-route statement on that particular vpn peer, as well as "redistribute static" on your RIP process.

View solution in original post

If you just have a specific permit statement, you don't have to configure the deny any any, and it's "distribute-list".

Here is the complete commands:

access-list 10 permit 192.168.1.0

router rip

distribute-list 10 out

You've got most of it correct

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would need to add the reverse-route statement on that particular vpn peer, as well as "redistribute static" on your RIP process.

That worked great!  Thank you.  One more thing.  Just to be on the safe side I would like to limit RIP advertisements to the VPN subnet only.  I am thinking something like this:

access-list 10 deny any any

router rip

distribute list 10 out

How would I do that with ASA 8.4 code?

Thanks again,

Diego

If you just have a specific permit statement, you don't have to configure the deny any any, and it's "distribute-list".

Here is the complete commands:

router rip

distribute-list 10 out

You've got most of it correct

Worked great.  Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card