cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 DHCP/DNS question

lostrouter
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5505 running 8.2.  On my outside interface I am getting the IP address from my provider via ip address dhcp setroute.  On my inside network I am providing DHCP to my clients via dhcpd.  My question is simply is there a way I can pass my providers DNS servers to my clients dynamically? 

What I mean by this is when I connect to my ISP,  I get an outside IP address, gateway, and a few DNS servers from them.  I would like to pass those said DNS servers automatically.  I know I can do dhcpd dns <DNS1> <DNS2> <DNS3>  for my internal DHCP server,  but what I am wondering though is there a way I can just pass the DNS that my outside interface is getting from the ISP directly on to my internal DHCP server?

Obviously this is not a big deal,  as I said I can bind them if I want,  but I was thinking if it could do it automatically then if my ISP ever changes preferred DNS servers or IPs on the DNS servers my clients would get them right away without me having to manually change the DNS server list on the config.

Anyways just curious.

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding you would simply configure this

dhcpd auto_config outside

This should pass the information that the "outside" interface got from the ISP through DHCP

Your WAN interface might be called something else naturally but the most typical is "outside"

Hope this helps

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding you would simply configure this

dhcpd auto_config outside

This should pass the information that the "outside" interface got from the ISP through DHCP

Your WAN interface might be called something else naturally but the most typical is "outside"

Hope this helps

- Jouni

This worked Jouni,  thank you very much. 

I added

dhcpd auto_config outside interface inside

Thank you for the quick response sure appreciate it!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card