cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
kstarnes11
Beginner

ASA 5515X Serial Number Issues

I have an odd situation with regard to two new ASA5515Xs I have just purchased.

One is an ASA-5515-IPS-K9 and one is an ASA-5515-K9

Both units "show version" serial number is different than the chassis serial number.

More specifically, the serial number on the sales order, original box and chassis stickers are all the same - however, if I do a show version or show inv, the serial number is different.

My suspicion is one of two things have happened - either there was some error at the factory, and I am the unlucky recipient of two mislabeled units -or- the show version/inv serial numbers of these new units are not supposed to match the chassis serial numbers, which seems odd but possible.

Can anyone who has one of the new 5515Xs confirm that the chassis serial number sticker DOES match the show version serial number?

26 REPLIES 26

I too spent a VERY long time getting this sorted (a few weeks at least)

I agree with kstarnes.

Smartnet you must register to Hardware serial number

IPS and any licenses like 3DES, etc register to software serial number (so they install)

Lastly get Cisco to add the software serial number as a secondary serial number on the account of the hardware one.

Hope you get a resolution quicker than us kstarnes and myself!

sh version | inc Serial Number is the command I used. It matched the serial displayed in sh version command