Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa 5520 without flash

I was handed a firewall ASA 5520 but without external flash, I want to confirm that  the ASA at least boot from rommon mode boot must have the external flash connected? I connected  to power and I connect it by the console port it did not show any boot.

Additionally I can confirm it is possible that you can connect a flash of a previous ASA model, say a 5510?

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To my understanding no ASA model comes with a external Flash memory. It should only have the internal Flash memory. The external slot shouldnt be needed.

I've never used or had need for the external Flash card slot on an ASA. But to my understanding atleast ASA models 5510 - 5550 should be identical regarding the external flash memorycard slot

Also if the internal Flash contains atleast one ASA OS image file I think it should always boot up "normally"

- Jouni

Jouni is correct that onboard flash is enough to hold the OS image. Can you post the results of a "dir all"?

Hi, the problem is that I connected the ASA and it not show any boot so I can´t  execute a dir all, that´s why my dude.

It´s possible that some ASA models don´t have a internal flash?

Hi,

I haven't seen any model that didnt have internal flash and I'm positively sure that ASA5520 has one.

Are you saying that you dont see anything on the console when you power up the ASA?

If you dont see anything could it be possible that your console settings are wrong or is the whole ASA perhaps broken? Has it worked at any point? Why was it handed to you and by who?

- Jouni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card