cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA - Converting to multiple context and preserving the original config but not in admin.cfg

pack41
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.  I want to convert an existing 5585 to multiple context mode and try to preserve the configuration of the existing firewall.   From documentation I can see that I can select option to 'convert the system config' during the change to 'mode multiple' but my understanding is this moves the config to a context called 'admin' with a url 'disk0:admin.cfg.    

Can convert the system config but then make a copy of the admin.cfg file on disk0 with another name e.g. '#copy disk0:admin.cfg disk0:new_context.cfg'  then create a new context and use 'new_conext.cfg' as its url thus preserving all the original configuration but not have any reference to ;'admin'.  

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Hi  pack41,

You can do it explicitly by using the command "copy running-config disk0:system.cfg and then follow the  step you have mentioned above.  You have an access to flash: or disk0: through system context not any other context until the storage is defined as shared storage. Try to do this Single context to Multiple context converstion through Console.

Spooster IT Services Team

Hi Spooster,

Thank you for your reply.   Not sure why I would copy running-config to 'system.cfg' but perhaps you mean for this example 'new_context.cfg' (or I have missed something)?

If my understanding to your response is correct - this procedure will work:

1. Prior to conversion via console: copy running-config disk0:new_context.cfg

2. via console: (config)#mode multiple

i) ignore option to: ' convert the system configuration'

i) the running-config will be copied to old_config.cfg

ii) a blank 'admin' context will be automatically created with url disk0:admin.cfg

3. via console: create new context: (config)#context new_context

i) assign interface(s)

ii) assign (if created) new resourse class

iii) set url: (config-ctx)#config-url disk0:new_config.cfg

I assume I will end up with:

i) the system (accesible by console or admin context when configured)

ii) a blank admin context (to be configured)

iii) a new context (called 'new_context) with the original FWs configuration preserved.

I assume also that when we convert to mode multiple all existing files on the flash are not erased (e.g. my new_context.cfg file) ! or something wierd like that.

Thanks in advance

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card