Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA CPU and MEM usage percentages

Hi Everyone.

I am looking for Cisco Recommended values for opperational enviroments of ASA's. Example CPU 0-30% Low , 31-60% Meduim and 60-100% High.

When is it considered low meduim or high usage on ASA's? As I can custom create a document. but would like to know what Cisco Themselfs recommend?

Kind Regards

Daniel           

3 Replies 3

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

I am not Cisco but this is my experience.

CPU

0-20% - low

20-50% - medium

50-90% - high

90+% - means you are in trouble

Memory is completely different.  The tool I use for monitoring my systems suggests the amount of memory used rarely changes.  Each device model uses a different amount of memory.  Excluding any memory leaks, the memory used statistic doesn't change.

Hi,

I would have to say that the environment I manage the typical CPU usage is around 0-40%.

I would also have to say that 0-10% is the more typical range where the ASA CPU usage usually is.

All this ofcourse depends on the device model used.

Ours are all the way from 5505 to 5585-X SSP20

For example on a virtualized ASA5585-X one context has currently 80k active connections through it and its CPU usage is at 5%

Some firewall used in hospital and school environments are at about 5-20% with few thousand active connections. ASA models used might be ASA5540.

I would have to agree with the values you have mentioned. I would say  anything between 0-30% in our environments is pretty normal. Anything  around 50% or more I would already consider unusual.

With regards to the ASA memory usage, I for example have the VERY basic model ASA5505 with no additional licensing at home. Its constantly using around 85% of the memory (running 8.4(5)) but it works just fine. Though as this is a home environment I am not concerned.

However if it were a production environment at a customer we would probably be looking at hardware replacement or memory upgrade. Most of the time it would mean completely replacing the hardware.

I would imagine the new ASA models have a lot more resources and dont really suffer from any of these problems.

Still waiting for my first ASA5500-X model for testing

- Jouni

Thanks for the feedback peeps. Currently i am working on a 5585X SSP60   Yes it is awesome.  But yeah was wondering if there is any official Cisco documentation on device parameters.

Thanks Again for the imput it helps alot.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card