cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA - file transfer to flash causes immediate reboot

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

I have a new 2130 with ASA code (not running FTD).  I have configured it and everything looks good.  It is currently running version 9.8(2).  When I try to copy the 9.8.3.8 image file to the flash, the moment I start the copy (before it gets past 0% copied), the ASA reboots.  The checksum for the file matches what is on Cisco.com, but that doesn't really matter anyway since the issue occurs at the start of the file transfer.  If I try and FTP or TFTP it, the file appears to copy over, but when the copy job "finishes", the file is never in flash.  I switched from FreeFTPd to Filezilla for FTP just to try another program and the file copy completes, but the ASA throws the error "signature not valid for file <path to file>".  I checked the file again with an MD5 checker and it matches the MD5 hash on Cisco.com.

I can't find a way to access the USB on the chassis from the ASA to try copying from USB.  Obviously the device has been rebooted several times.  

Anyone have any ideas?  

1 Accepted Solution
4 Replies 4

You have to install new IOS from FXOS GUI. You can't upgrade ASA code from ASA CLI.

I think thought that might be the case but couldn’t find any documentation on upgrading ASA on a 2130, Just stuff on migrating between ASA and FTD code.

Thank you.  I still don't understand why the reboot was occurring at the start of the file transfer, but I updated via the Chassis Manager and it worked perfectly.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card