Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA FirePOWER and PROXY

I wonder if there are any clues that helps to extract as much information about users behind proxy as possible? We're migrating ASA 5520 to new ASA with firepower module, but there's a proxy on inside network, talking to ASA with WCCP. So source IP will be always single PROXY address, and domain username is also lost. 

The only possibility I can see is extracting original client ip from X-Forwarded-For header. It can be a solution, but: On intrusion event tab I can add "Original Client IP" column ( this feature is not working by the way on my 5.3.1.1 (build 37) - field is always empty, even if I can see X-Forwarded-For in packet details ). Additionaly, on AMP submenu I can't see any place where "Original Client IP" could be viewed? 

Placing Proxy behind any other interface than inside would be a nicer solution, but WCCP on ASA doesn't support it. 

Would be grateful for any help

Lukas

13 Replies 13

zaferberber
Level 4
Level 4

Internet<--> IPS <-->Proxy <-->Client

if the proxy send client ip address with "X-Forwarded-Fo"r how can i read this information with sourcefire and when packet leaves from Sourcefire i want remove "X-Forwarded-For".

is that possible?

zafer

Hi,

Yes, we can disable this XFF information under Policy->Acces control->Network Analysis policy ->tcp preprocessor.

Rate if that helps.

Thanks,

Ankita

Hi @ankojha,

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you could tell me where you found the option to remove the XFF from the header? Everything I see online seems to suggest it's not possible. I've gone into Policy > Access Control > Network Analysis Policy but I can't find "TCP preprocessor". Maybe it's changed over the years. 

Were you able to remove the XFF field in recent versions of Firepower?

Many thanks in advance.

Sourcefire (aka Firepower), at this time, does not have a way to strip the XFF header off the packet.

miculp
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would recommend that you verify that "extract XFF" is enabled in the HTTP preprocessor.

~ Cheers

In the HTTP preprocessor turned on "Extract Original Client IP Address", but still see only Proxy's ip address in Analysis->Connections ->Events.

How to obtain original ip, not proxy's ???

Did you manage to solve this?
I have the same problem, "Extract Original Client IP Address" is enabled, but in event logs I still see only proxy IP as Initiator IP

The default headers that can be extracted from a packet are X-Forwarded-For and True-Client-IP. If you have a proxy using "Original Client IP Address" (confirm in the packet) then you can add this to the HTTP preprocessor.

The Initiator IP will always be the proxy IP.

You can only filter now for the Original Client IP.

Analysis -> Connections -> Events -> Table View of Connection Events

Original Client IP.png

Select the Original Client IP from the list.

It depends of the size of GET request forwarded to source fire, if the size of GET request is larger than that default value then you might not able to see the original client IP though you have enabled "x-forwarded for" option under the HTTP preprocessor.

Take packet capture on the device and verify the size of GET request and then increase the client depth value under HTTP processor settings.

Let me know if it helps you.

Best

Jawed

Bill CARTER
Level 5
Level 5

I had this issue also. There are a couple of settings in the HTTP preprocessor.

Firepower 6.0

Go to Policies -> Access Control -> Network Analysis Policy (Top right of browers window).

Edit existing policy, or create new policy.

Policy information -> Settings -> HTTP Configuration

Under Targets click + to add a server and enter the IP address, CIDR, or comma-seperated list. Click OK.

Then check boxes "Detect HTTP Proxy Servers", "Allow HTTP Proxy use", and "Extract Original Client IP Address".

For mine I have "XFF Header Priority" with #1 "X-Forward-For"

Hope this helps.

-Bill

Hello Guys,

How can i enable "extract XFF" on FMC 6.1? I cannot find Network Analysis Policy section.

It's been moved from the intrusion policy (<= 5.4.x) to the advanced tab in the access control policy. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card