cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA not taking the management keyword for SSH or HTTP access

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

While going through the intial setup of an ASA, I wanted to configure SSH access as well as HTTP access for ASDM.  My understanding is that for SSH access, the following command must be entered:

ssh 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 management

However, when entering this command there is an invalid input error with the carrot on the beginning of the management keyword.

I encountered the same error when setting up HTTP access using the following:

http 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 management

Again, it gives an error with the carrot on the management keyword.

I don't have the ASA connected to anything.  I'm using the most current ASAv image and running it in GNS3.

Can anyone help me understand why these commands are not working?  I'm following a tutorial and don't fully understand the management keyword, but they use it in the tutorial as part of the basic initial configuration of an ASA for ssh and http access.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to resolve this issue by setting up a router and connecting it to the ASA via the management port on the ASA, and configuring the router interface with an IP address, and opening the interface on on the router.   I think I also configured management-only on the ASA management  interface.  Then the management keyword become available.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Waterbird
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to resolve this issue by setting up a router and connecting it to the ASA via the management port on the ASA, and configuring the router interface with an IP address, and opening the interface on on the router.   I think I also configured management-only on the ASA management  interface.  Then the management keyword become available.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card