cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Tftp Command

chrisbicm
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to load the asdm504.bin file onto one of my ASAs but the command keeps failing.... the command that I had was: copy tftp://your-server-IP/pathtofile flash:/asdm504.bin but that isnt working... does the pathtofile actually have to be the full path? Or am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Chris

3 Replies 3

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Chris,

It should be "copy tftp://server[/path]/filename {flash:/ | disk0:/ | disk1:/}[path/]filename".

But other valid commands can also be used, as follow:

1. copy tftp://10.1.1.1/path flash:/xxx.bin

2. copy tftp flash:

* Here you need to put the image in your TFTP default directory so you don't have to specify the any path.

3. copy tftp disk0:

*you can also installed the image in disk0. Check the status using "dir", "dir flash" or "dir disk0" commands. The "dir" command will automatically show the Flash status.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008054dbea.html#wp1053013

Rgds,

AK

AK,

Thanks for the help, my situation (as we had discussed earlier in the week).... 1 of my ASAs had a missing image file so it wouldnt boot.... I retrieved the .bin file from my other ASA and sent it to the non-working ASA. Now the ASA booted but I get some errors while its booting. It does however get me to the ciscoasa> prompt, which is much better then the ROMMAN# prompt from before

Open or write(ffsdev/2/write/32) failed

Could not initialize system files in flash

When I try to do a dir I get this error

Invalid DOS media or no media in slot

I also get this error:

Running Activation Key 0x00000000

Key not Valid, use default settings only

My Cisco contact told me that I would have to get a new Key generated for that last error... but whats going on with the other errors?? Any help would be great

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I believed this was a 'chain reaction' impact when you accidentally delete the ASA image file.

From the CLI, can you issue the 'show version' command. Look for the following parameter:

-> System image file is "disk0:/pix701.bin" -> ASA uses disk0 instead of Flash. PIX uses Flash.

-> Serial Number: xxx000000xT --> use this serial no when applying new activation key from Cisco

-> Running Activation Key: 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 --> if the valuse all ZEROs, you either need to get new from Cisco or obtained the key from your previous saved config with 'show version' details

-> Configuration register is ?x? -> what's the value?

Can you see all those info/details? Compared with your active ASA.

Once your ASA is reloaded with activation key, then your Flash should be accessible/recognize (error message because ASA doesn't recognize it). If necessary, format the flash/disk0 before you start to load new PIX7.x image into it.

Good luck.

Rgds,

AK

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card