Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5516 Firepower License

cHrome08
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

This may be a silly question to most of you.
I have a set of 2 ASA5516-x that is running Firepower Services.
I received an alert recently stating that the "ASA 5516 Threat Defense URL filtering" term license has expired on the devices.

Looking at the transaction history, the expired licensed SKU is L-ASA5516T-TMC.

In the list of license inventory that I have in the Smart Software Licensing account, I can see that there is 1 valid Thread Defence URL filtering license (SKU: L-ASA5516-URL). Although they are named the same, I believe they are 2 separate license.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

While I am trying to get approval for the purchase of the TMC license, can I apply the URL license to one of the 5516-x pair?

If this is possible, can someone advise me on how to do this?
Thanks.

6 Replies 6

I think you running FTD image on ASA units. how you manage these FTDs is it from FMC?  if yes than you need a smart lic for them.

if you running ASA code with firepower and mange them from FMC in that case it a traditional lice. it could be the vaild url you see is for the other asa box.  as you mentioned you have 2xASA boxes.

please do not forget to rate.

Hi Sheraz,

Thanks for your quick response.

I am not sure if i am running an ASA code or a FTD image.
Can someone assist to advise me on how to check on which one I am using?
Fyi, I took over this network from someone who has left the company.
Thanks.

I see you running cisco Asa with sfr module. And seem like you manage it from FMC. Looking in to the picture you only have a control and protection enabled. Which means you run out TMC (url/malware) license.

Hi Sheraz,

That is correct. I am running both the ASA and the SFR module.
I believe that this is was termed as "ASA Code" (please correct me if I am wrong).
If this is the case, I cant use smart licensing and will need to perform traditional licensing.
Am I correct?

Yes - and ASA Firepower service module uses traditional licenses. You load those directly onto FMC and then associate them to the device.

FMC can manage both license types simultaneously.

Guru @Marvin Rhoads  is spot on. you can manage ASA and FTD from FMC. ASA sfr work as traditional lic and FTD works with smart lic.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card