cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASAv Code Upgrade - Which Image

j.a.m.e.s
Participant
Participant

Could anyone tell me which image I need to download to upgrade the code on an ASAv running on VMWare please?

There is a .bin file available via CCO, but it's labelled "Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software for the ASA 5525-X, 5545-X, and 5555-X."

The other option is a .zip file "Cisco Adaptive Security Virtual Appliance VMWare Package for the Cisco ASAv Virtual Firewall" but this would need to be deployed as a new VM.

The upgrade guide doesn't mention which image, it just refers to a .bin file. Surprisingly it also doesn't mention taking a snapshot.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

disk0: (and disk1: where available) is just an alias to another destination (or the other way round). With the command

show bootvar

you can see where the actual boot-image is located. Typically you can use the

boot system FILENAME

without a location and the system will automatically append the right location.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Karsten Iwen
VIP Mentor VIP Mentor
VIP Mentor

You can use the .bin-file and update the ASAv the "normal" way through ASDM or by copying it to flash from CLI and setting the boot image.

Thank you Karsten for confirming the ASA-55xx-X bin file is the right file for an ASAv image upgrade.

One other surprise is that I can see the image applied via the VMWare installation under boot:/ but the upgrade guide asks us to copy the new .bin file and set the boot variable to disk0:/

asa-v-vmware# dir boot:/

Directory of boot:/

120    -rwx  109707264    05:29:24 Apr 16 2021  asa9xxx-xx-smp-k8.bin <- current image booting up
121    -rwx  35741420     05:29:24 Apr 16 2021  asdm-xxxxx.bin
122    -rwx  68684656     05:29:24 Apr 16 2021  asa-restapi-xxxxx-lfbff-k8.SPA

3 file(s) total size: 214133340 bytes
534495232 bytes total (320200704 bytes free/59% free)

asa-v-vmware# sho run boot system
asa-v-vmware# <- nothing is set as boot variable

Is disk0: the right location for the updated image, and where/when would boot: get used?

Thank you

disk0: (and disk1: where available) is just an alias to another destination (or the other way round). With the command

show bootvar

you can see where the actual boot-image is located. Typically you can use the

boot system FILENAME

without a location and the system will automatically append the right location.

j.a.m.e.s
Participant
Participant

Thank you @Karsten Iwen. I've completed my upgrade and your advice around the .bin file and boot location was sound.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers