cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM-IDM Launcher v1.7(0) - unable to launch device manager from <IP>

Ve Con
Level 1
Level 1

From this same machine, i am able to use ASDM to login to the active ASA  (5515-x) but when I tried to login with the standby ASA (both situations using IPs), i got this error:

"Unable to launch device manager from <standby ASA IP>"

From this same machine (Windows server 2008 R2 SP1, I am able to ssh to both ASA devices

My guess is this has something to do with the Java.  This machine is using Java Standard Edition v7 update 76 (build 1.7.0_76-b13)

Anyone has any idea how to fix this? 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Short method: Log into the secondary ASA via cli and copy the ASDM image file via ftp to disk0 there.

If you cannot ftp copy via cli for whatever reason, then revert the primary ASA to the ASDM version that you DO have on both. Force failover. Then login to the Secondary-Active and copy the new image via https using ASDM. Both units should then have the new desired ASDM. Set that as your ASDM image and you should now be able to use ASDM to access either unit. Revert Active role to Primary unit if desired.

View solution in original post

Hi,

You need to upload the same image on the secondary's flash and that would resolve the issue.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do you have the correct image on the standby ASA ?

Is it present in the flash ?

show run asdm would show you the image being used but make sure that image is present in the flash.

Regards,

Aditya

Hi Aditya,

Show run asdm shows:

asdm image disk0:/asdm-752-153.bin
no asdm history enable

I tried to show run asdm on both active and standby ASA, both show the same result

One thing I found out, when I browsed this URL and it gives me 404 not found error:

https://<standby IP>/admin/public/index.html

But when I browse the same URL with standby IP, it gives me the Cisco ASDM 7.5(2) page, button to install ASDM launcher and also button to install Java Web Start

Something with the SSL not on the standby?

No its not an issue with JAVA or SSL.

Please check if asdm-752-153.bin is present in the flash.

Use show flash command and check for this image.

Regards,

Aditya

I don't see asdm-752-153.bin in the standby ASA 

but i  DO see that in the primary ASA

what should I do to fix this problem?

Short method: Log into the secondary ASA via cli and copy the ASDM image file via ftp to disk0 there.

If you cannot ftp copy via cli for whatever reason, then revert the primary ASA to the ASDM version that you DO have on both. Force failover. Then login to the Secondary-Active and copy the new image via https using ASDM. Both units should then have the new desired ASDM. Set that as your ASDM image and you should now be able to use ASDM to access either unit. Revert Active role to Primary unit if desired.

Thank you Marvin and Aditya.

I worked with Cisco TAC on this.  And here is how he fixed it:

1. Logged into the primary ASA using ASDM
  2. Put the asdm-741 image to work.  Yeah, at this time we got a warning for a bit as both ASA devices don't have same asdm image version.
  3. Logged into the secondary ASA using ASDM as now it's working with ASDM 7.4.1
  4. Downloaded the ASDM image 7.5.2(153) (this is the version on primary ASA) and use ASDM to upgrade the standby ASA to use 7.5.2 as well (Upgrade from local computer option)
  5. At the end we have both ASA using the same image version 7.5.2(153) of ASDM 

He also confirmed that cannot copy the asdm image from one ASA to another (this is what I hoped we can do, but .... was not able to)

Hi,

You need to upload the same image on the secondary's flash and that would resolve the issue.

Regards,

Aditya

i am getting ready to upgrade my ASDM to 7.6.2 and if my standby only has asdm-7.41.bin, it would be a problem, correct?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card