Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5500 Series Firewall between Switches

hayej058
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Im looking to get a cisco firewall and place it between my two cisco 9200 switches. Currently I have 7 vlans but will eventually see 20 or so vlans on my switches. the vlans must be able to pass through but I dont plan to connect anything other then switches to the firewall. So my question is will the standard vlan ids be ok considering I dont plan on setting any vlans on the Firewall itself or will i have to purchase additional vlans? Thank you in advance for any and all help. If additional information is needed please let me know, I will try to explain as best as I can.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As i understand correctly - you want to place FW betweenLayer 2 Switches, you can deploying FW in Transparent mode.

Standard VLAN should work for you.  You do not need any other license required if you deploying transparent FW.

example :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa95/configuration/general/asa-95-general-config/intro-fw.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As i understand correctly - you want to place FW betweenLayer 2 Switches, you can deploying FW in Transparent mode.

Standard VLAN should work for you.  You do not need any other license required if you deploying transparent FW.

example :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa95/configuration/general/asa-95-general-config/intro-fw.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Since the fw will work as transparent then the number of vlan you need in fw equal to double real vlan why?

because transparent fw work to change vlan ID from one side to other so if you run 6 vlan you need 12 vlan in transparent fw.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card