cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Firepower 2130 ASA Compatibility

jam26ica
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, can anyone tell me if the Cisco ASA 5525 is compatible with Cisco Firepower 2130 ASA Appliance. My company would like me to upgrade our Firewall and Cisco compatibility release notes are so confusing. Thanks in advance 

7 Replies 7

to be fair it really depends what are you requirements for example how much money you want to spent on new firewalls as FTD come in different class of model 1000/2100/3000/4000/9000 series. the other question is how much throughput you need etc.

cisco 5525 Stateful Inspection Throughput 2Gpbs whereas 2130 Stateful Inspection Throughput is 10G plus running IPS 5.4G.

on 2130 you can either run FTD software or you can run ASA software its up to you. If running ASA code on 2130 you will not have the IPS layer7 inspection. Just running triditonal ASA if running FTD code you will have Layer7 IPS.

please do not forget to rate.

Thank you Sheraz for answering my question. Base on your answer it's safe to say the 2130 is compatible and if I choose to use the FTD software I can use the migration tool and it should be able to migrate my config. from the 5525 to the 2130.

FTD migration is a great tool to translate your ASA configuration into FTD appliance software. FTD 2130 is a great chose for small medium size organisations.

Thank You.

Please Mark it answer as it will help others too.

I'm trying to understand this as I am new to the FirePower 2130 also.  You mentioned ... "on 2130 you can either run FTD software or you can run ASA software its up to you."

So are you saying, there are two different ways to use the FirePower 2130 ?  ...and based on which way you use it, there is a separate software operating systems that will need to be installed on it?  I mean like, is there a completely different Cisco image that will need to be downloaded and installed on the 2130 for FTD, or a completely different image for ASA IOS type of usage?  Please let me know if that understanding is correct...or where I'm confused.

@a-gould the 2130 Firepower hardware (or the 1000, 2100, 4100 or 9300 series hardware) can run the old traditional ASA software image or the newer NGFW image called FTD (Firepower Threat Defense). The FTD image supports all the new features (URL Filtering, Malware, IPS etc) at an additional cost.

You can purchase the hardware with either ASA or FTD image or you can reimage the device. If you use the FTD image you can manage locally using FDM (Firepower Device Manager), on-prem centrally with FMC (Firepower Management Centre) or cloud using CDO/cdFMC. The ASA image can be managed using CLI or ASDM as before.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card