Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure ASA5505 as 802.1X Client / Wired Eduroam

NicoMaas1987
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening,

I am working at an local University which supports wired eduroam. Wired Eduroam uses 802.1X with EAP-PEAP and MSCHAPv2 as Second Phase. 

I wanted to ask wheter it is possible / and how to configure an ASA5505 as wired 802.1X Client on the Outside Interface.

I only found Static IP, DHCP and PAP, but I would need to use EAP-PEAP with MSCHAPv2 as described above.

Thank you very much,

Nico

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to what Karsten said - you would have to setup the ASA as a MAC Authentication Bypass (MAB) device (as opposed to a supplicant) for the ASA itself.

Clients directly connected to the ASA as a switch cannot use it as the Network Access Device (NAD) in the context of an 802.1x setup.

View solution in original post

The build-in switch of the ASA 5505 is quite limited. It's not possible on the 5505 to configure a switch-port as .1x-supplicant.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to what Karsten said - you would have to setup the ASA as a MAC Authentication Bypass (MAB) device (as opposed to a supplicant) for the ASA itself.

Clients directly connected to the ASA as a switch cannot use it as the Network Access Device (NAD) in the context of an 802.1x setup.

NicoMaas1987
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for your helpful answers :). I solved the problem by using an additional Linux Device for the 802.1x access.

The build-in switch of the ASA 5505 is quite limited. It's not possible on the 5505 to configure a switch-port as .1x-supplicant.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card