Views
Helpful
Replies

Defective ASA 5520?

Lasse_Jensen
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

it's high time I created an account here. I've recently purchased a Cisco ASA 5520 and wanted to boot it / wipe it.

However, the status light is constantly amber and, while the management port lights up with an ethernet cable, I have no idea what the management port address is.

I've tried connecting via a console cable, but there's absolutely no output in my TeraTerm whatsoever, and I'm guessing the amber status light has to do with a failed POST.?

I've replaced the RAM with two new modules, that hasn't changed anything. I've tried booting without the flash card, that hasn't changed anything.

I have been scouring the internet as to how to reset the ASA, but it seems you actually need access to the appliance via a terminal application to do so. There is a hardware reset button, but it doesn't seem to do anything as it matters little how long I hold it.

If it's defective, I can get my money back, but I would like to exhaust all troubleshooting options before I declare it dead.

The power LED is solid green, the status is solid amber, the active is a mix between amber and green and the vpn is solid green.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Lasse

5 Replies 5

Hi

In normal escenario the leds should be:

Power - Green

Status - Green

Active - Green

Otherwise it has an internal error, you must request a refund.

Regards 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio

and thanks for the quick answer.

Well in that case there's an internal error.

The vendor said it worked when they shipped it, so they're quite surprised it isn't working now when I have it in my hands.

Is there anything I can try to do? replace power supply? ram? flash? or should I just report it defective?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Lasse

Could also be a PSU issue.  Try reseating it and / or replacing it.

Also, reseat the RAM and flash might also help.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Hi Marius

I've tried reseating the PSU, and I'm wondering if I should try to replace it.
I've also reseated the RAM and replaced the RAM entirely, trying with 1 stick, two sticks, all ports etc..

The ASA 5520 has cost me 44 USD plus shipping, the RAM cost me 37 USD, so I'm obviously wondering if it's worth paying 50 USD more to replace a PSU for a unit that still might not work.. Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Lasse

The ASA 5520 has cost me 44 USD plus shipping, the RAM cost me 37 USD, so I'm obviously wondering if it's worth paying 50 USD more to replace a PSU for a unit that still might not work.. Any thoughts?

Personally I would not spend the $50 as I feel that if the vendor has guaranteed that it works yet it doesn't, it should be their problem to make it work or get you one that does work. But I suppose it comes down to whether you are willing to take the chance, and really how much that $50 means to you. If the $50 wont affect you much financially and you are willing to give it a shot, then go for it.  Otherwise, I would take it back to the vendor and get it replaced or get a refund.

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card