Helpful
Replies

DHCP and DG

mburutzis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have 2 hopefully easy questions. Here goes:

1. I want to use my internal DHCP to assign addresses to my VPN clients. Can this be done? Is this feasable through the PDM?

2. Can I assign a default gateway to my clients with the IP pools?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

5 Replies 5

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Here are the answers:

1) You cannot use DHCP in the case of PIX to assign IP addresses for your clients. You can use DHCP ,if you have a VPN concentrator to terminate the tunnels.

2) why do you need to do this ? If you want to put all traffic via the tunnel, just disable split tunneling. Split tunneling is the way to route your packets on the tunnel. You can adjust this and make the traffic to go on the tunnel or on the LAN card. There is no neded to set up default gateways for the IP pools..

I have remote clients that need access to the intranet that is hosted on a remote site which we use a router with a frame relay connected to that site.

How can I let my clients connected from VPN to access that Intranet?

The remote clients will terminate on the VPN device that you have, and get an IP from the IP pool configured on the PIX. That Private IP Pool is made visible from your local intranet. (routing to be done). By doing this, your remote clients will access the remote site through the VPN connection. Hope this helps !!

VPN will virtually have your clients connected to your remote site !!

Is there a way to assign a subnet mask to an IP pool assigned with the command "ip local pool ..."? I noticed that when i connect through VPN, I get the subnet at 255.255.0.0. Can this setting be changed to another subnet mask?

Thanks again,

Michael

Hello Michael,

I dont think you can change this. there is no configuration where you can do this. anyway this doesnt matter I suppose.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card