cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcpd dns did not assign to client

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

On a ASA 5505 8.2(3), the dhcpd dns command did not assign a dns server to the client when configured as such

dhcpd address 10.3.2.100-10.3.2.131 inside

dhcpd dns resolver1.opendns.com interface outside

dhcpd lease 172800 interface inside
dhcpd domain monroe.local interface inside
dhcpd option 3 ip asa-inside interface inside
dhcpd enable inside

It wasn't until I put in this command that the client actually got the dns server address

dhcpd option 6 ip resolver1.opendns.com

Is option 6 the same command as dhcpd dns? Any reason why the dhcpd dns command did not work with the above config?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Its just about on which interface to send these value when a request comes from a particular interface

So you have configured it such that if the dhcp request comes on outside interface it will respond with that value, so if you change the interface to inside it should work irrespective of where the dns server is, all this command does is provides the value of dns server to query requests

Regards,

Jitendriya

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jitendriya Athavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yeah optoin 6 is for dns

the reason it didnt work is because of this i guess

the interface you have specified is outside and i guess your clients rae in inside trying to get ip address and dns server so change it to inside

dhcpd dns resolver1.opendns.com interface inside

yeah optoin 6 is for dns

the reason it didnt work is because of this i guess

the interface you have specified is outside and i guess your clients rae in inside trying to get ip address and dns server so change it to inside

dhcpd dns resolver1.opendns.com interface inside

The only problem is that dns server is on the outside: name 208.67.222.222 resolver1.opendns.com

That's why I referenced outside.

So what you are saying is that dhcpd dns is only for inside servers, whereas option 6 works no matter where it is. Is that correct?

Its just about on which interface to send these value when a request comes from a particular interface

So you have configured it such that if the dhcp request comes on outside interface it will respond with that value, so if you change the interface to inside it should work irrespective of where the dns server is, all this command does is provides the value of dns server to query requests

Regards,

Jitendriya

Thank you kindly.

I must be working too much

glad that I could be of help

Regards,

Jitendriya

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: