cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does "sysopt connection permit-vpn" bypass all interface ACLs?

rsjordan00
Level 1
Level 1

A while back I changed my internal interface ACLs so we must explictly permit traffic between internal networks but still retain access to the internet. I chose to use an object group containing the three RFC1918 ranges to define the private networks. This is ideal because we can use this same "template" across 150+ firewalls without having to customize for each firewall's internal subnets. Here is an example that gives the inside network full access to the internet and gives the dmz SQL access to an inside server and full access to the internet.

object-group network RFC1918

network-object 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

network-object 172.16.0.0 255.240.0.0

network-object 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

access-list inside_access_in extended deny ip any object-group RFC1918

access-list inside_access_in extended permit ip any any

access-list dmz_access_in extended permit tcp any host 192.168.1.10 eq 1433

access-list dmz_access_in extended deny ip any object-group RFC1918

access-list dmz_access_in extended permit ip any any

So, I'm now running into a problem with site-to-site VPNs. I had assumed that sysopt connection permit-vpn would ensure that VPN traffic would bypass ACLs. What I'm finding is that inbound traffic from the remote location seems to work okay, but when we try to initiate a connection from the inside or dmz, the traffic is blocked by the interface ACL: Here is a log entry when I ran a ping from a server in the dmz, 192.168.2.20 to a server on the remote side of the tunnel, 10.100.0.100.

Deny icmp src dmz:192.168.2.20 dst outside:10.100.0.100 (type 0, code 0) by access-group "dmz_access_in" [0x71a13b69,0x4deab30d]

Does ACL inspection occur before the firewall can match this traffic to a crypto map? I'd really hate to have to modify our interface ACLs everytime a site-to-site tunnel includes private IPs (most do).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The check if the traffic is supposed to be encrypted/encapsulated/sent to VPN connection comes after route lookups, NATs and ACLs for example.

The setting "sysopt connection permit-vpn" only applies to tunneled traffic entering the ASA firewall. It doesnt apply to your local interfaces and network behind them that initiate traffic. In otherwords it applies to the interface where the VPN connection terminates and not the other interfaces on the ASA.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The check if the traffic is supposed to be encrypted/encapsulated/sent to VPN connection comes after route lookups, NATs and ACLs for example.

The setting "sysopt connection permit-vpn" only applies to tunneled traffic entering the ASA firewall. It doesnt apply to your local interfaces and network behind them that initiate traffic. In otherwords it applies to the interface where the VPN connection terminates and not the other interfaces on the ASA.

- Jouni

Thanks for that info. I suspected that but was hoping I was wrong. I would prefer my internal interface ACL to permit traffic destined to remote VPN networks, but I don't want to explicitly define the remote networks. I don't like the idea of filtering outbound VPN traffic through group-policy and interface ACLs.

It seems like I either have to change the RFC1918 object-group so it only contains the interface subnets or I need to setup another object-group that includes the remote VPN ranges and permit that. I was hoping to avoid this so we can have a generic ACL/object group to make it easier to deploy across different firewalls. Do you know of any clever way around this?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card